Baghdad Strad

Angels Sign Matt Harvey

319 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Except for fact Shoemaker has never been as good as Harvey, you nailed it

You need to take a closer look at Harvey’s body of work. His first 3 years were good from an ERA perspective but only started 10 game that first season. His last three have been absolutely brutal.  Shoes 2014 season was arguably better than any of Harvey’s. So yes he has been as good, and equally as bad....so why not stick with the lower cost guy?

Just now, krAbs said:

Yeah, he really doesn't have a chance. This isn't 2015. There isn't anything left. There hasn't been anything left for years. I don't know if you've noticed, but roadkill is a great description of his last few years.

Okay, Doug White, thanks for the input

Yuck. Last thing the Angels need is more arms who you can't rely on to stay durable over the course of a season. The injuries to his elbow and shoulder have made him a shell of what he used to be and I'm not even sure how effective he is anymore. I don't think this really helps improve the rotation at all since I don't think he's any good anymore and I don't see him staying healthy all year long

All that said, at 1yr it's not a big deal and doesn't interfere with the long-term goals with this franchise.

It doesn't matter that he might not pitch well.  A guy with a 4.5 era over 160 ip isn't going to help us that much.  The upside is where you get the benefit.  Again, it's the off chance he pitches to a 3.2 era in 180 innings.  Which he could do and someone like Shoe and the vast majority of the other available free agents have no shot at.  

If this is a whiff, so what.  We're not going to look back and think we'd have made the playoffs if Harvey was just average.  

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

Yuck. Last thing the Angels need is more arms who you can't rely on to stay durable over the course of a season. The injuries to his elbow and shoulder have made him a shell of what he used to be and I'm not even sure how effective he is anymore. I don't think this really helps improve the rotation at all since I don't think he's any good anymore and I don't see him staying healthy all year long

All that said, at 1yr it's not a big deal and doesn't interfere with the long-term goals with this franchise.

His fastball increased 2 MPH after joining Cincy, getting back into the mid-90s, and in September it was averaging nearly 96.

His K9, which had declining since his early career success, ramped back up to his career bests as the season went on.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

It doesn't matter that he might not pitch well.  A guy with a 4.5 era over 160 ip isn't going to help us that much.  The upside is where you get the benefit.  Again, it's the off chance he pitches to a 3.2 era in 180 innings.  Which he could do and someone like Shoe and the vast majority of the other available free agents have no shot at.  

If this is a whiff, so what.  We're not going to look back and think we'd have made the playoffs if Harvey was just average.  

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

I had posted earlier about taking a gamble on Harvey as a dumpster dive move because he had somewhat improved in Cincinnati but 11 mil is certainly not what I had in mind. That’s too much for someone who might not stick in the rotation. Hopefully he is willing to be utilized from the bullpen when needed. 

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

1/3 of available payroll isnt a "so what".    if this was 5 or 6 mil, id be happy as heck for the upside, but not at twice that.  If hes anything less than every bit of that upside, this ones gonna hurt in the end as we now have less options for remaining positions.  

From MLB Trade Rumors...

”Harvey gave the Reds 128 innings of 4.50 ERA ball with more encouraging secondary metrics: 7.8 K/9, 2.0 BB/9 and a 42.6 percent ground-ball rate. ERA alternatives like FIP, xFIP and SIERA all pegged Harvey in the low 4.00s.

With the Reds, Harvey saw his average fastball velocity trend up from 92.6 mph in New York to 94.4 mph, and his swinging-strike rate improved from 8.2 percent to 9.9 percent.”

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

From MLB Trade Rumors...

”Harvey gave the Reds 128 innings of 4.50 ERA ball with more encouraging secondary metrics: 7.8 K/9, 2.0 BB/9 and a 42.6 percent ground-ball rate. ERA alternatives like FIP, xFIP and SIERA all pegged Harvey in the low 4.00s.

With the Reds, Harvey saw his average fastball velocity trend up from 92.6 mph in New York to 94.4 mph, and his swinging-strike rate improved from 8.2 percent to 9.9 percent.”

It's like Angel's front office did their scouting and saw something...crazy, right?

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I don’t know. I mean, I get it, but this team could really use a reliable, durable mid to back of the rotation starter right now. 

This feels sorta like a 90s Angels kinda move.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don’t know. I mean, I get it, but this team could really use a reliable, durable mid to back of the rotation starter right now. 

This feels sorta like a 90s Angels kinda move.

“This feels sorta like a 90s Angels kinda move”

I agree