Chuckster70

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

3,390 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Just noticed that Soriano hasn't made a start in a while now, anyone know if something is up with him?

They likely had him throw on his regular schedule, just not in games.   They made it seem like it was a ten day thing...  Guess we will see.

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Just noticed that Soriano hasn't made a start in a while now, anyone know if something is up with him?

Eller and Swanson are big believers in rest, stretch, core and let strengthening for pitchers. Young ones especially, they'll cap them at 120 innings. I'm guessing that is what this is.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:20 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I wonder if the Wilson pick was partially inspired by Jahmai Jones complete collapse at the plate. Wilson should be ready in a couple years, maybe late 2021 or by 2022, which at that point the Angels will know if either Ward or Thaiss can handle 3B, who is better between Fletcher and Rengifo, and which two of the four to keep - or maybe keep three and trade Wilson. Lots of moveable parts, but the good thing is...lots of solid parts in the IF an OF.

Now if only we can develop a good catcher or two, and some starting pitchers...

It’s not too hard to judge why they drafted Wilson. Generally teams take the best player they deem available in the first round no matter what their need is.

I do think Jackson and Wilson can work their way up over time which exposes Jones, Rojas, Soto, Rivas and other middle infielders. This of course assumes Wilson and Jackson keep on track and Rengifo/Fletcher keep playing well. 

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Nice game for Burlington today.

Jordyn Adams: 3-5 with a double and a homer

Kevin Maitan: 2-5 with an RBI and run scored

Nonie Williams: 2-4 with a homer

Hector Yan: 6IP, 2H, 1R, 1BB, 7K

Jordyn Adams has a chance to be an absolute stud. I'm talking a 25/50 guy if everything works out. He's strong and the fastest in our org. May be even a better defender than Marsh too in the end. 

IMG_20190718_144018.jpg

IMG_20190718_144003.jpg

Every once in a while I feel like I have a brief glimpse into what the Angels are thinking. And mostly, it's simplistic.... Like even more simple than your consider.

Eppler wants to shore up the outfield in the future, so he goes to Swanson, and they draft Marsh. Then they draft Adell. Then they sign Deveaux, Knowles, Uceta and Rivas, then they draft Adams, then they sign Alex Ramirez. They figure most of them will flame out, but with that much athleticism we'll strike on a couple of them and the outfield will be set. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and have a surplus to trade from.

So then he wants to solve the infield, specifically 2B,3B and SS. So he moves Jahmai Jones to 2B, traded for Rengifo, develops Fletcher, steals Kevin Maitan and Livan Soto from the Braves, drafts Jeremiah Jackson, drafts Will Wilson and Kyren Paris, trades for Adrian Rondon and signs Arol Vera. Again, most will leave out, but maybe they'll get lucky on 2-3 of them and the infield will be set.

As far as pitching, Eppler trusts his ability to find it for cheap. So they won't spend too picks on it, except Griffin Canning, he was too good to pass up. So he'll draft a bunch of collegiate pitchers in rounds 4-10, and once every draft, take a chance on pure upside. Spend a little more on that kid and hope for the best. They did it with Chris Rodriguez, Connor Von Scoyoc, and now Jack Kochanowicz. Oh and grab a few Latin American righties that throw hard and hope they figure out where the strike zone is.

7 hours ago, Glen said:

Von Scoyoc and Kochanowicz won't succeed based purely upon their names. This I know.

I dunno, Jack Kochanowicz sounds like he could be a major leaguer..... Or the guy that does your taxes.... Or the manager of a Home Depot.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Scott34 said:

Isaac Mattson is having a hell of a year. Might be a factor in the Angels pen soon. 

Dominant. 

Mattson, Sandoval, Ortega, and Madero are all probably potential pitching help for the bullpen at least in ‘20, with a couple in rotation mix. 

If we finally wind up with a healthy effective rotation, I really like what that group might be able to offer in multi-inning roles complimenting Buttrey, Robles, Bedrosian, Middleton, and Anderson. That pen could get fierce fast.

Edited by totdprods

Mattson has had pretty solid control since being drafted.   Outside of the 9 BBs in 20 innings in A+ to start 2019, he's walked under 3 per 9 innings in his minor league career so far, while K'ing a ton of batters this season and allowing a total of just TWO HRs so far this season in 52 innings.   The career GB/FB ratio (1.13) so far looks pretty solid too.

Maybe a mid-2020 promotion to the bigs?    He's still only 24.    What is his pitch repertoire? 

39 minutes ago, popo85 said:

Wilson is 19 for 47 at the plate his last 11 games maybe time to give him a shot at Burlington 

Concur with this. He's up to .337 which is 5th best in the entire league.