Chuckster70

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

335 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2019 at 3:40 PM, Warfarin said:

Jose Rojas looks like an intriguing option.  He emerged last year, with a nice display of power and some versatility (3B/1B/2B).  It seems like he's had the bulk of his playing time at 3B overall.  Could he possibly be a 3B option if Ward doesn't pan out, or does he profile more as a utility type?

What's up? Sorry for leaving my favorite sidepiece alone all winter, needed a few month break from baseball for the first time in years. Jokes aside... as usual, I agree with you. Would love one of those that actually see the milb games to chime in. 

Why? Because how on earth does a guy break out for us in AA (our most pitcher friendly ballpark/league), with massively increased power, plate discipline and next to no increase in K rate? That's rare. What I'd guess is even more rare, though, is to do that across a substantial number of PA (352) and then to get promoted to the Bees and not hit a single HR in 73 PA.

It's a real head scratcher to me.  This is one of those times actual scouting would be extremely helpful. 

Seriously, some of those guys have been looking mighty good in Cactus. Thiass and Briceño both bode well for the future. Thaiss is obviously stymied behind his position; looks like first is locked up. But, hey, who knows? He could be starting every game come May. No disrespect to AP intended. (I actually think AP has been promising in Spring, but...well...)

4 hours ago, Cody Pendant said:

Seriously, some of those guys have been looking mighty good in Cactus. Thiass and Briceño both bode well for the future. Thaiss is obviously stymied behind his position; looks like first is locked up. But, hey, who knows? He could be starting every game come May. No disrespect to AP intended. (I actually think AP has been promising in Spring, but...well...)

Matt Thaiss is good enough that they won't keep his bat out of the lineup for long. Before,  Albert was still in the lineup because there weren't any alternatives. And little by little, we've seen that change. His production continues to fall, there's a new manager writing the lineup card, DH is no longer an option with Ohtani in the lineup, he's competing directly with Bour, and he has Thaiss and Walsh both in AAA, particularly Thaiss who looks every bit the part of a starting 1B, and was drafted in the first round by the current GM, not the one that signed Pujols. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Matt Thaiss is good enough that they won't keep his bat out of the lineup for long. Before,  Albert was still in the lineup because there weren't any alternatives. And little by little, we've seen that change. His production continues to fall, there's a new manager writing the lineup card, DH is no longer an option with Ohtani in the lineup, he's competing directly with Bour, and he has Thaiss and Walsh both in AAA, particularly Thaiss who looks every bit the part of a starting 1B, and was drafted in the first round by the current GM, not the one that signed Pujols. 

I agree and hope to see him swinging away in the white and red. A lot of interesting changes coming after Ohtani starts DH’ing. Spring’s eternal hope?

6 hours ago, Cody Pendant said:

I agree and hope to see him swinging away in the white and red. A lot of interesting changes coming after Ohtani starts DH’ing. Spring’s eternal hope?

I don't have the Spring hope that this is a playoff team.  I see it as more of a year of transition. In my mind, it will be a success if the Angels contend and we see an entire collection of prospects ready to usher in a new era beginning in 2020. Meaning by May of next year, we'll Adell, Thaiss, Rengifo, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Marsh and Jones all up with the big league team, or ready to step in at a moments notice and not look overwhelmed at all. Bonus points if Ward, Fletcher and Hermosillo have all turned a corner by then.

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

I don't have the Spring hope that this is a playoff team.  I see it as more of a year of transition. In my mind, it will be a success if the Angels contend and we see an entire collection of prospects ready to usher in a new era beginning in 2020. Meaning by May of next year, we'll Adell, Thaiss, Rengifo, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval, Marsh and Jones all up with the big league team, or ready to step in at a moments notice and not look overwhelmed at all. Bonus points if Ward, Fletcher and Hermosillo have all turned a corner by then.

My default is optimistic until proven otherwise. Sure, I likely will be. As you rightly point out we have a ton of developing talent in the incubator. But I like a lot of what I’m seeing. I think Fletcher is turning on, and it’s a different conversation once Ohtani starts as DH. Championship season? I wouldn’t go that far, but I can optimistically conceive a playoff berth. 

I conceive this principally while brushing my unicorn.