Chuckster70

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

865 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Really tough start for most of our top position player prospects.  

Adell is injured 
Marsh  - .504 ops in 36 ab with no extra base hits.  
Jones - .244 ops with 2 hits in 31 ab and 13k 
Adams - .188 avg with 13k in 32 ab and 4 errors in the OF.  
Rengifo - .562 ops with 12k in 43 ab.  
Thaiss - .731 ops.  0 fer his last 11.  not terrible.  peripherals are still good.  
Maitan - .325 ops.  not really a top prospect any more.  just thought I would include him.  

On the flipside, lots of encouraging starts from the pitchers - which is what we really needed to step up this year. The offense had a big year of growth last year.

Overall, I think this is the result of small sample size and bad weather. Which is helping the pitchers too. And like @Second Base said, this happens when guys get challenged. We’ve been aggressive. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Billy Martin was the anti-christ for pitchers, but that sort of treatment was more commonplace in that era...   Terry Collins had the benefit of information all pointing out the dangers of pitcher abuse and yet he dismissed it all and questioned their toughness.

Jason Dickson nods head in agreement.   Good pitcher ruined by Collins.

41 minutes ago, totdprods said:

On the flipside, lots of encouraging starts from the pitchers - which is what we really needed to step up this year. The offense had a big year of growth last year.

Overall, I think this is the result of small sample size and bad weather. Which is helping the pitchers too. And like @Second Base said, this happens when guys get challenged. We’ve been aggressive. 

Didn’t Arizona also have colder than normal weather during ST?   Could that also stunt a little the progress of the prospects?

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Didn’t Arizona also have colder than normal weather during ST?   Could that also stunt a little the progress of the prospects?

In a broader sense, yeah, it might have limited some workouts and affected some schedules...it seems like everyday so far, there's been at least one game postponed and one doubleheader down on the farm as well. Throw some gross weather into the mix on those days when they do play, and it's not totally surprising to see a couple guys stumble out of the gate...we're also only like 8-9 games in. Jones could have back to back 3-4 games and his slash would look like a simple slow start...case in point, Thaiss' 0-11 bringing his otherworldly slash down to something human. 

April 14, 2019

Salt Lake (3-7) lost 1-2 vs. Sacramento (Giants) (6-5)

• Rengifo (SS): 1-4, R, BB, 2 K, E (3)
  • Thaiss: 0-4, 2 K
  • Walsh: 1-4
  • Rojas (3B): 2-4 - slashing .379/.455/.552/1.006, 4 BB, 5 K, 3 XBH in 8 G/29 AB
  • Herrmann: 5 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
  • Rhoades: IP, K
  • Walsh: IP, BB, 2 K - 2019 pitching debut, and in a close game to boot.

Mobile (3-5) lost 0-1 at Mississippi (Braves) (3-4) in 7 innings, game one of doubleheader

• Marsh (CF): 0-4, 3 K, OF assist
  • Jones (DH): 1-3, BB, 2 K, SB (1)
  • Urena (3B): 1-2, 2B, 2 BB
  • Ball: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 7 K - in 2 GS: 9.1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 14 K

Mobile (4-5) won 2-0 at Mississippi (Braves) (3-5) in 8 innings, game two of doubleheader

• Jones (CF): 0-4, first game in OF since '17
  • Marsh (DH): 2-4, R, K
  • Sandoval: 5 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 11 K, 87 pitches, 55 strikes
  • Gatto: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K - seems to be pitching from the pen
  • Clark: IP, 2 K

Inland Empire (5-6) lost 3-5 at Lake Elsinore (Padres) (8-3)

• Rivas (SS): 1-4, 2B, R, BB
  • Martinez (CF): 1-4, BB
  • Torres (3B): 1-4, RBI, K
  • Hunter (DH): 0-4, 2 K
  • K. Williams (LF): 1-4, HR (2), R, RBI, 2 K
  • Warren: 1.2 IP, H, ER, 3 BB, K
  • Mattson: 3 IP, 2 H, ER, 2 BB, 3 K
  • Tavarez: IP, 2 K

Burlington (7-4) won 6-2 at Cedar Rapids (Twins) (4-7)

• Soto (2B): 0-3, RBI, 2 K
  • Maitan (3B): 0-5, 2 K
  • Del Valle (RF): 1-3, 2B, 2 BB, E (1)
  • N. Williams (LF): 0-3, R, BB, 2 K
  • Pineda (DH): 0-0, 4 BB, 2 R
  • Olmeda (C): 2-3, GS HR (1), 4 RBI, 2 R, BB
  • Stefanic (SS): 2-4, R, E (1)
  • Tyler: 5 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 2 K
  • Higgins: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 4 K - 6'5" LHP through 3 G: 5 IP, 3 H, ER, BB, 7 K

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Adell is injured 
Thaiss - .731 ops.  0 fer his last 11.  not terrible.  peripherals are still good.  
Maitan - .325 ops.  not really a top prospect any more.  just thought I would include him.  

I'm still cautiously optimistic.  There are a lot of factors involved, the weather I think has been the biggest issue maybe.  Weather is also why I'm trying to avoid getting too worked up about all the early pitching performances.   Your boy Rojas is more than holding his own in AAA and might be carving out a MLB career.     As far as Maintan goes, apparently he has yet to hit rock bottom.

I'm not really worried about Marsh that much, he has a good K rate and walk rate, thats telling me he's making contact, but ball just isn't falling. For Jones i'm worried, he looked over matched in spring training and he has a K rate over 40%. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Adell is injured 

Also worth mentioning that Marsh, Jones, Rengifo, Adams, and Maitan are a little pretty young for the leagues they're in. I've never been high on Thaiss or Rengifo really so can't say I'm too concerned there.

With Adams and Maitan, those guys are going to be 'busts' until they're 'booms', so I'm not really concerned. That's what you get when you nab guys with loud, raw tools...I don't expect much in-between with guys like that. It'll be ugly, and the one day, it might be amazing.

Edited by totdprods

Rojas still mashing. He hasn't played LF since Ward was promoted. I wonder if A. that's just because an open spot became available or B. Rojas didn't look that good defensively in LF.

Either way, I'd love for the Angels to find a way to get Rojas up here. It would also be nice to find a decent 4th OF that bats righthanded to platoon with Calhoun -- or just have Goodwin start taking starts away from him in RF and have Rojas in LF. 

Really rooting for Jose Rojas... Local guy and an underdog late-round draft pick. What's not to love? He's so under the radar does anyone have any comps for him as a big leaguer? Someone like Eugenio Suarez comes to mind as someone who has been underrated throughout the minors to break out in the big leagues but that would be a best-case scenario. Maybe Jhonny Peralta?

Kyle Glaser seems pretty high on him

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Really rooting for Jose Rojas... Local guy and an underdog late-round draft pick. What's not to love? He's so under the radar does anyone have any comps for him as a big leaguer? Someone like Eugenio Suarez comes to mind as someone who has been underrated throughout the minors to break out in the big leagues but that would be a best-case scenario. Maybe Jhonny Peralta?

Kyle Glaser seems pretty high on him

Great to see from Glaser...Rojas is starting to get some attention.

I think the most realistic best case outcome is going to be a Kole Calhoun-type bat. And not recent Kole. 

Something like a .270/.330/.420/.750 with 10-15 HR in a mostly full season. Which *flips to Baseball Reference* is almost exactly what Peralta did - (.267/.329/.423/.732, averaging 18 HR per 162) so yeah, that’s spot on.

Suarez would be a least realistic best case scenario but I’m starting to think it has a shot. Not a terrible comparison for his absolute ceiling to be honest. 

If we can get that out of Rojas and a Mitch Moreland-sort out of Walsh - sub out relief pitching for 3B - that’d be so huge to this team’s immediate future. We so badly need above-average bench bats/role players or simply decent optionable everyday players. 

Edited by totdprods

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Great to see from Glaser...Rojas is starting to get some attention.

I think the most realistic best case outcome is going to be a Kole Calhoun-type bat. And not recent Kole. 

Something like a .270/.330/.420/.750 with 10-15 HR in a mostly full season. Which *flips to Baseball Reference* is almost exactly what Peralta did - (.267/.329/.423/.732, averaging 18 HR per 162) so yeah, that’s spot on.

Suarez would be a least realistic best case scenario but I’m starting to think it has a shot. Not a terrible comparison for his absolute ceiling to be honest. 

If we can get that out of Rojas and a Mitch Moreland-sort out of Walsh - sub out relief pitching for 3B - that’d be so huge to this team’s immediate future. We so badly need above-average bench bats/role players or simply decent optionable everyday players. 

I will be happy with average bench/role players.  In the past we have had way below average at those spots.

April 15, 2019

Salt Lake (3-7) vs. Sacramento (Giants) (6-5) postponed

Mobile (4-6) lost 2-6 vs. Montgomery (Rays) (6-4)

• Jones (2B): 1-4, RBI, K
  • Marsh (CF): 0-3, BB, K
  • J. Rodriguez:  5 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, BB, 3 K, HR
  • Alexander: 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, BB, 4 K

Inland Empire (5-7) lost 1-9 at Lancaster (Rockies) (6-6)

• Rivas (DH): 1-5, K
  • Torres (2B): 2-5, 2B, K
  • K. Williams (RF): 2-4, 2 2B, OF assist, E (1)
  • Rubalcaba (SS): 1-3, HR (1), R, RBI, K, BB
  • Criswell: 3 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, K, HR - first poor start for the prospect
  • Madero: 3 IP, 6 H, ER, BB, 5 K - 59 pitches, 44 strikes

Burlington (8-4) won 3-2 at Kane County (Diamondbacks) (7-5) in 11 innings

• Adams (LF): 0-5, 2 K
  • Maitan (2B): 0-4, BB
  • Pineda (3B): 2-4, RBI, BB, K
  • Wenson (C): 2-4, BB, 2 K - .250/.429/.562/.991 to start the year, could open eyes with a strong offensive rebound year 
  • Yan: 5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K - 74 pitches, 45 strikes 
  • Soriano: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K - 63 pitches, 40 strikes

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I will be happy with average bench/role players.  In the past we have had way below average at those spots.

Definitely - and we’ve spent quite a bit of money trying to fill those spots too. 

Fletcher, Rojas, Walsh, Briceno, Goodwin...I can see  all of these guys being average players for cheap rounding out our 2020-2021 bench when all is said and done, hopefully with Adell, Thaiss, Ward, Rengifo ahead of them.

Edited by totdprods

Posted (edited)

Patrick Sandoval's Angel career so far...
9 starts, 1.46 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, .171 BAA
43.1 IP, 26 hits (only 1 HR), 17 walks, 66 strikeouts (14.4 K9)

Ty Buttrey's Angel career so far, majors and minors...
28 games, 1.39 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, .152 BAA
27.1 IP, 22 hits, zero HR, 6 walks, 39 strikeouts (16.8 K9)

Also, for what it's worth, if you take the Williams Jerez return, Chris Stratton's, first Angel inning out of the equation...
12 IP, 3.00 ERA, 1.67 WHIP
12 hits, one HR, 8 walks, 6 strikeouts
Poor peripherals still, and he's been a little lucky, but not terrible. Room to grow.

Given that, I'm still fine if 2019 winds up a gap year. 
Just have to hope Eppler finds some interest in guys like Cahill, Harvey, Allen, Lucroy, Skaggs, Cozart, Robles, Calhoun, Bour...could add a lot to the immediate future's youth movement.

I'd also like to see more stockpiling of prospects because ultimately, I'd rather see Eppler trade for MLB-impact players than try to sign via FA. 

Edited by totdprods

Now that we are passed the service clock manipulation date by a couple of days, we're may see Eppler become more willing to promote some of these guys. 

But that requires moving guys off the the 40 man roster, which Eppler is likely hesitant to do. But that is one less factor to worry about. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Now that we are passed the service clock manipulation date by a couple of days, we're may see Eppler become more willing to promote some of these guys. 

But that requires moving guys off the the 40 man roster, which Eppler is likely hesitant to do. But that is one less factor to worry about. 

We actually don’t have many obvious 40-man cuts right now. There are some knee-jerk options of course (Cozart, Harvey, Bedrosian, Stratton) and some that we should hold for depth (Noe, Bourjos) / option reasons (Curtiss, Bard), but it’s a pretty full 40 at the moment. Especially since we should get guys back from the 60-day over the next month or two. 

Edited by totdprods

Kyle Bradish walked 4 batters in the first and then gave up 3 singles to start the second.  

He somehow managed to only give up 1 run and then settled down to only give up one more hit and whiff 3 over is next 12 outs to finish with a line of 5ip, 4h, 0er, 4bb, 3k.  The only run scored on a passed ball.  

Game still going.  Kevin Williams with his 3rd hr of the year.  

Guys, I'm worried about Kevin Maitan.  He only has 1 more HR that Livan Soto who is a stick.  I'm also worried about Jahmai Jones because he's sucking in April after not sucking for three years.  Also, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Bobby Baldoquin is currently our best hitter in AA.  Jerry Dipoto has been vindicated.  

sarcastic sarcasm GIF