Sign in to follow this  
Chuckster70

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

68 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It's also an indicator that the Angels are going to take a good look at Rengifo at Spring Training. He probably starts at AAA but he will be competing for a roster spot. 

3 hours ago, RBM said:

It's also an indicator that the Angels are going to take a good look at Rengifo at Spring Training. He probably starts at AAA but he will be competing for a roster spot. 

Exactly.  This just says that the Angels are planning on Thaiss, Rengifo, Canning and Ward spending some time on their roster. 

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I can't remember any players recently that started as a rookie on opening day yet didn't get a late season call up the previous year.  

You’re right, great point. They will all start at AAA. Even if the teams think a prospect is MLB ready to start the year they keep them at AAA for a few weeks to get an extra year of service time. The Braves did it last year with Ronald Acuna and the Cubs did it with Kris Bryant in 2015. The Blue Jays will probably do it with Vladi Jr. this year. If they start him in AAA for a few weeks they get an extra year of control. 

On 1/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, RBM said:

You’re right, great point. They will all start at AAA. Even if the teams think a prospect is MLB ready to start the year they keep them at AAA for a few weeks to get an extra year of service time. The Braves did it last year with Ronald Acuna and the Cubs did it with Kris Bryant in 2015. The Blue Jays will probably do it with Vladi Jr. this year. If they start him in AAA for a few weeks they get an extra year of control. 

Not only that but will likely see 13 pitchers to start the year so there's no room.  I suppose Ward has a chance to open the season in the bigs if he beats out Fletcher.  I'm still scratching my head about the Bour signing especially so early in the off-season-  that's not going to help Ward or Thaiss get any time for MLB.

17 minutes ago, Revad said:

Not only that but will likely see 13 pitchers to start the year so there's no room.  I suppose Ward has a chance to open the season in the bigs if he beats out Fletcher.  I'm still scratching my head about the Bour signing especially so early in the off-season-  that's not going to help Ward or Thaiss get any time for MLB.

Bour's needed in the event that both Ohtani and Pujols are unable to start the season following their surgeries - I think I read Bert had both knee surgery and an elbow surgery? - so he's just an insurance option. We were unsure at the time if Walsh would get selected in the Rule 5 draft as well, and it would have been awfully risky going into '19 with a totally unproven Thaiss that high on the depth charts. 

I don't want to rush these guys, and I don't want them to get bounced back and forth constantly. Their development is vital to our immediate future. These guys should be the next core, so I am totally fine seeing them all start the year at AAA - and that even includes names like Fletcher, Barria, Anderson, and Buttrey. If there are cheap, bargain options still available for pick-up in coming weeks that bumps everyone down a peg I don't see that as a bad thing, provided those vets have a short leash. Save some service time, get everyone developing together, and have quality reinforcements at the ready to bring up as the season goes on instead of relying on waiver claims and fringey minor league depth.

they were going to get a guy with experience that can play 1b/DH.  The fact that they went with Bour who could only do that actually tells me they have more confidence in Fletcher and Ward than if they went and got a Moustakas, Lowrie, or Marwin.  

The Bour signing also means that they're gonna make Albert earn his at bats and/or Ohtani won't be back right away.  

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

they were going to get a guy with experience that can play 1b/DH.  The fact that they went with Bour who could only do that actually tells me they have more confidence in Fletcher and Ward than if they went and got a Moustakas, Lowrie, or Marwin.  

The Bour signing also means that they're gonna make Albert earn his at bats and/or Ohtani won't be back right away.  

This is one of the reasons I was hoping to go after him last season as well. 

Also, if Thaiss continues to up his slugging pct. and show more pop in AAA and Bour struggles like he did in '18, we could see Thaiss in that similar role at 1B with Pujols. 

Maybe the reduced role for Pujols becoming a platoon player gets him to start his farewell retirement party this season as well?

27 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is one of the reasons I was hoping to go after him last season as well. 

Also, if Thaiss continues to up his slugging pct. and show more pop in AAA and Bour struggles like he did in '18, we could see Thaiss in that similar role at 1B with Pujols. 

Maybe the reduced role for Pujols becoming a platoon player gets him to start his farewell retirement party this season as well?

If Bour struggles to another 110 ops+ it will still be way better than the production we got from first base last year.  

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If Bour struggles to another 110 ops+ it will still be way better than the production we got from first base last year.  

He was probably referring more to Bour’s last 75 games and the sub-Pujols .675 OPS that he had in that time. When you’re a three-true outcome guy and you can’t walk or slug your way into being an average hitter, it’s a bit concerning.

I’m hopeful Bour’s floor is still a big improvement and he gives us that 100-110 OPS+, but there’s a decent risk that he falls into a below-average range pretty quickly and steadily. 

Edited by totdprods

On 1/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, Dochalo said:

Yes I can see that but seems like Bour plus La Stella lefty roles could have been combined into a single player, leaving a roster spot for the younger guys.  On the other hand it looks like on of Fletcher or Ward will be a starter and they can always shuffled back to AAA to take turns.  Maybe when Pujols goes on the DL Thaiss will get a shot.

I really think that LaStella and Bour are on the roster for mid season trade bait. If they do well and the Angels are not in contention they trade them for future value in the pen or rotation. If the Angels are in contention and have surplus minor league talent to replace them, again, mid season trade bait. Both have team control until 2021making them more than a rental for perspective buyers.

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really think that LaStella and Bour are on the roster for mid season trade bait. If they do well and the Angels are not in contention they trade them for future value in the pen or rotation. If the Angels are in contention and have surplus minor league talent to replace them, again, mid season trade bait. Both have team control until 2021making them more than a rental for perspective buyers.

This isn’t the right thread for this, but we have a ton of guys that could be moved at the deadline this season if the team isn’t in contention.  LaStella, Bour, Lucroy, Kole, Harvey, Cahill, those are all guys on the last or only year of their contract.  Then guys with this season and one more you are looking at Simmons (won’t be traded), Cozart and even Skaggs.  If we have another season where we flounder, but a couple of those guys have really good years, there could be value there.  Plus I doubt Eppler is finished and will bring in an arm or two for the pen.  

I don't plan on the Angels being much more than "in the race" for the second wild card. In my opinion, the pitchers that they have brought in, or more accurately, Lucroy, are going to make the pitching staff much more consistent than we have seen in years. But I have zero confidence in that offense doing much of anything. But the farm system ontgeother hand as improved by leaps and bounds pretty much every year since Eppler arrived. I expect nothing different in 2019.

Some of our prospects are going to break into the big leagues, some of our prospects will break out,  and the organization will be further supplemented with a great draft and another international signing class. 

Nice little write-up in Fangraphs:

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/a-minor-review-of-2018-los-angeles-angels/

There's some good nuance there that you don't always see - like Maitan being disappointing, but still having the arm and power (most just focus on the disappointment).

Hulet really likes Jeremiah Jackson - liked what he said. Also, interesting about Deveaux and Knowles. Didn't know Deveaux put on weight. Knowles really is becoming one of my favorite prospects.