Chuckster70

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

3,694 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Marsh might have actually caught up to Adell for now.  Ceiling isn't as high, but arrival time is  probably equal.  Marsh is also probably a better defender at this point.  

I'd love an OF of Trout in LF, Marsh in CF and Adell in RF in 2021.

Bill Mitchell @billazbbphotog
FollowingFollowing @billazbbphotog
MorStiward Aquino is back on the mound for #Angels extended spring training team after TJ last year. FB 93-96. CH mid 80s. Got swing-and-miss on 79-81 CB when he kept it down in the zone. Effective 3-inning outing.
11:29 AM - 17 May 2019

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

Raider Uceta is the forgotten man among the Angels prospects.  Big time power, good swing.  Very young.  Almost no chance he ends up anywhere other than 1B. 

I’ve never forgotten.  But I did wonder if he had washed out or something.  Sometimes you hear about these young guys and then don’t hear much for a while.  

Anyway, I’ve seen worse swings ! Hopefully he starts making some noise. 

Replace Harvey and Cahill with Suarez and Sandoval. I would rather the two take their lumps at the big league level than these two old farts that need to be put out to pasture already. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Replace Harvey and Cahill with Suarez and Sandoval. I would rather the two take their lumps at the big league level than these two old farts that need to be put out to pasture already. 

My guess is as soon as the team think they are mentally ready to take those lumps they will make that move.  I would not be surprised to see some shake ups sooner rather than later.  It might be Cozart first.  

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

Jose Suarez tonight

4.1 IP    2 H    1 ER    3 BB    3 SO

89 pitches  51 strikes

For the season

15.0 IP    13 SO    1.80 ERA    1.13 WHIP

I watched Suarez pitch tonight and it was every bit of what this tweet implies.  There were at least 10 pitches that were called balls which were strikes or borderline at most.  He still managed to make opposing hitter look bad.  He's absolutely ready.  

Sandoval isn't.  He'd get killed by major league hitters right now.  The funny thing is that he goes through these brilliant stretches and then goes into throw and not pitch mode.  I feel like Canning did that last year yet this year he's so much more under control.  

That's one of the biggest differences between guys in the minors vs. majors.  Ignoring the batter.  Suarez seems like he can do that.  

some other observations from tonight.  Hanewich needs to be moved to AA.  

Oliver Ortega has good stuff.  

Thaiss should perform better than he does.  

Jose Rodriguez is a guy who could come from nowhere out of the pen.  mid 90's and good off speed.  

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Odd thing now is that Cahill in his past three starts (aside from the 5th inning in the middle start) has pitched a lot better than Harvey has.

Ultimately, I would call up Suarez in June and DFA Harvey if not improving in his next couple of starts.   Hope that Cahill can regain some trade value due to recent improved outings.   I’m losing faith in Harvey doing so.   Yesterday was horrible.

Suarez needs to be promoted and Jaine Barria needs to be back in the majors. They need to let these youngsters learn to succeed at the highest level and developmentally, AAA is not doing anything for them. 

I know it's a prospect thread, but Barria is still only 22.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

some other observations from tonight.  Hanewich needs to be moved to AA.  

Oliver Ortega has good stuff.  

Thaiss should perform better than he does.  

Jose Rodriguez is a guy who could come from nowhere out of the pen.  mid 90's and good off speed.  

I think I've been saying that about Thaiss going on 3 years now. He really is better than the numbers. 

50 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Suarez needs to be promoted and Jaine Barria needs to be back in the majors. They need to let these youngsters learn to succeed at the highest level and developmentally, AAA is not doing anything for them. 

I know it's a prospect thread, but Barria is still only 22.

Sure hope we close the season with a rotation of Heaney, Skaggs, Canning, Barria, Pena, and Suarez. Ohtani and Sandoval factor in next year too. 

I know it's ugly right now but the rotation depth for 2020 is looking nice. 

Personally I'm still hoping two of Skaggs, Cahill, and Harvey go on a roll and get dealt by the deadline, but that's looking iffy right now.

58 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think I've been saying that about Thaiss going on 3 years now. He really is better than the numbers. 

That unfortunately means nothing.  If he is better than his numbers, that doesn’t really help us.