Sign in to follow this  
True Grich

Any Fisherman on this site?

53 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Second Base said:

I am an avid freshwater fisherman. Mostly rivers, lakes and setreams of Northern California. 

There's some great places to fish in No. Cal. I envy you.

18 hours ago, Biergott said:

Fresh and Salt, anything but Fly fishing...

Used to have a dream gig as a product manager for a big name rod & reel manufacturer.  Traveled the world fishing for about 15 years.  Product testing, TV shows, marketing vids, bass, walleye, tuna and marlin tourneys, etc.  It was rough.

Why'd you give that up?

21 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Very cool @Homebrewer spending your days out on the water is a great way to spend the day.  I'm mostly a freshwater bass fisherman. 

As long as you're on the water in some way,  you're doing something right . The ocean is my thing but I've been doing some trout fishing up here when the jones gets real bad.

Drag that kayak down to Baja. I've caught Dorado and Roosters, and even a Sailfish, from kayaks down at the East Cape.  Calicos and a Yellowtail or two over at Catalina.

I call it stealth fishing..

1 minute ago, Homebrewer said:

As long as you're on the water in some way,  you're doing something right . The ocean is my thing but I've been doing some trout fishing up here when the jones gets real bad.

Drag that kayak down to Baja. I've caught Dorado and Roosters, and even a Sailfish, from kayaks down at the East Cape.  Calicos and a Yellowtail or two over at Catalina.

I call it stealth fishing..

All my gear (and I have a ton of it) is specific to bass fishing.  I'm not likely to ever put my kayak in the salt... just not my thing.  Even though I love fishing, I don't have any desire to hook a really monster fish that you have to fight for an hour, etc.  I'm all about bass fishing. The tug, is the drug for sure.  Every now and then I might do a little surf fishing for perch or corbina and if I get invited - I'll head out in the salt, but anytime I have time to fish (which isn't often enough) is dedicated to chasing those bass...

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

All my gear (and I have a ton of it) is specific to bass fishing.  I'm not likely to ever put my kayak in the salt... just not my thing.  Even though I love fishing, I don't have any desire to hook a really monster fish that you have to fight for an hour, etc.  I'm all about bass fishing. The tug, is the drug for sure.  Every now and then I might do a little surf fishing for perch or corbina and if I get invited - I'll head out in the salt, but anytime I have time to fish (which isn't often enough) is dedicated to chasing those bass...

Do you live somewhere that's good for that? I know some of those lakes east of San Diego are well known for producing trophy large mouth.

I pretty much center my efforts on things to fill the freezer with these days. Salmon, Lingcod, Rockfish Halibut.

2 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Do you live somewhere that's good for that? I know some of those lakes east of San Diego are well known for producing trophy large mouth.

I pretty much center my efforts on things to fill the freezer with these days. Salmon, Lingcod, Rockfish Halibut.

I go to Castaic, Perris Diamond Valley, Pyramid, etc. and down to the lakes in SD.  I make it work.  I even fish local city lakes from the bank.... El Dorado Park, Laguna Niguel, RSM, etc.

I wish I lived in a place where all you had to do was drive up and go fish... fishing in So. Cal has so many regulations and restricted access/hours, etc.  And they're heavily pressured. 

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

I go to Castaic, Perris Diamond Valley, Pyramid, etc. and down to the lakes in SD.  I make it work.

I wish I lived in a place where all you had to do was drive up and go fish... fishing in So. Cal has so many regulations and restricted access/hours, etc.  And they're heavily pressured. 

and on top of that there's a whole bunch of dipshits on the water

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

Those are fun in the harbors (Newport-Dana) for halibut in the channels and Bay Bass around the docks.

I've pretty much fished all my life. Cattle boats when I was a kid growing up in Huntington Bch. 

What in the world . . . ???

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think with the exception of Alaska, this is probably the best fishing in the country. 

When you factor in the weather, I don't think anyone could argue with that.  Unless you like to fish for muskies or walleye... (which I never have done).

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

Why'd you give that up?

Position was eliminated when they went to a globalized product line vs region/country specific.  It had run its course for me as well I think.  The benefits were obviously incredible, but the pay wasn't great, especially in the OC.  Not to mention I was travelling 50-75% of the year and trying to raise a family.  I didn't realize how much of my sons' lives I missed until it was gone.

I do miss it every day though.  Every single day.

3 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

As long as you're on the water in some way,  you're doing something right .

This. 

Anyone ever done lobster diving? I did it once...was surprised how simple it is.

My buddy grabbed a monster out of the water. As big as him basically. Ill try to find the pic.

15 hours ago, Blarg said:

Obviously you've never been to Montana. 

It's great for trout fishing and the overall scenery, but it isn't much of a bass fishery.  It's not a diverse fishery at all.