Sign in to follow this  
Chuckster70

Anyone dealing with snow or cold ass conditions?

76 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Just got back from 4 days near Tahoe. Even at 3500ft, we had 18" of new snow. Soft, dry, deep snow. Was really beautiful, although digging out the truck and the driveway just to leave was not fun. Kids had a blast on the sled track we made. 

The view of the Sierra's from the 5 was epic. So much snow, and far down into the foothills, too. 

Where were you at? I wish I would have taken a pic from the plane as I was flying over the Sierras yesterday. Snow from Donner Pass all the way to the mountains around Vegas.

13 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Where were you at? I wish I would have taken a pic from the plane as I was flying over the Sierras yesterday. Snow from Donner Pass all the way to the mountains around Vegas.

About 20 minutes west of Donner, off the 80. I was planning on going up to Sugar Bowl, but 80 was closed the day I wanted to go, bummer. I bet that view from the plane was amazing. 

And I do have a new-found appreciation for those who live in snow/cold areas and have to deal with the shoveling, plowing, blackouts, pipe freezes, car breakdowns, etc. What a PITA it is.  

I had to dig out and push a car out of the way from the end of my driveway as well yesterday. 

The town I live in (North Bend, WA) declared a State of Emergency yesterday so we're finally getting help via snow plows and help from the National Guard. I've been stuck in this house for a week now. Thankfully I'm able to work from home and we have plenty of rations and firewood to keep the house warm. 

5 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I moved up here about 3 years ago. Do you live in Chicago (Lake Forest?)

Nah, I live in the Orange County version of Lake Forest, where both the lake and the forest are manmade.

This winter here in KC has been one of the rougher ones I can remember. More than anything, it’s just been steady. Basically some sort of ice or snow event once or twice a week since pretty much early November. A couple really really cold stretches too. It just kinda makes everything difficult. Roads around here are in horrible shape due to the constant cycle of ice/snow, salt, hard freeze, thaw, repeat. 

We got 36 inches of snow from Jan 20 to Feb 11.  We also reached -27f (-60 with wind chill)

The first half of Jan and December were way warmer than usual.

Snow depth is probably still about 20 inches, now that it has all settled.

cBZfN6P.jpg

2 hours ago, nate said:

We got 36 inches of snow from Jan 20 to Feb 11.  We also reached -27f (-60 with wind chill)

The first half of Jan and December were way warmer than usual.

Snow depth is probably still about 20 inches, now that it has all settled.

cBZfN6P.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

This morning was cold as F*ck in OC. I went to go move my car quickly around 8am in flip flops, basketball shorts, and a t-shirt......damn that was a rough couple of minutes.

Woke up to snow this AM...

High's all week do not exceed 35

Snow in the forecast for this Thursday and Friday.

THU

FEB 21
Snow
31°23°
100%
SSW 17 mph 86%

UV INDEX SUNRISE SUNSET MOONRISE MOONSET

2 of 10
7:08 am
6:18 pm
8:58 pm
8:46 am

Cloudy with snow. Temps nearly steady around 30. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 5 to 8 inches of snow expected. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.
THU NIGHT

FEB 21
Snow
--23°
100%
SSW 6 mph 90%

UV INDEX SUNRISE SUNSET MOONRISE MOONSET

0 of 10
7:08 am
6:18 pm
8:58 pm
8:46 am

Periods of snow. Low 23F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches.

Just in case anyone thinks the Arizona is only hot as f*ck.  Not back east snow, but this weather will shut down the town.