Chuckster70

The Official 2019 Angels Spring Training News & Gameday Thread

1,136 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2019 at 5:57 PM, Dochalo said:

I think Cozart should start the year at 2b.  I didn't like his 3b D at all last year but he looked solid at 2b to start the year.  

Small sample size, but Cozart hit very well when playing 2B as well. 
As 2B: .266/.333/.438/.771 in 72 PA
As 3B: .212/.286/.356/.642 in 133 PA
As SS: .167/.271/.262/.533 in 48 PA

His poor line as SS sort of tanks this theory, but again, small sample size in play, perhaps playing up the middle he felt a lot comfortable defensively and was able to hit better as a result. 

14 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I dont understand how people can think that Ward will be able to break camp and be an option at third, barring an injury setback to either Fletcher or Cozart. The guy actually hit worse in September against September call ups. What could he have done between now and then that would generate this kind of consideration?

Even if he has an unbelievable spring (when pitchers are really just working on pitches, not trying that hard to get guys out), the guy starts the season in AAA. He has work to do on his swing, his fielding, etc. 

Fack et cetera, what else is there, besides those two traits, for a third sacker?

I'm not going to cull up all the data I looked through last year, but there were some encouraging signs with Ward. If I'm remembering correctly, he tended to watch a lot of strikes go by and wound up behind in the count quite often, but still had good contact/power numbers despite the measly slash. 

Being that he was always a patient hitter in the minors with good discipline, the evidence tended to suggest he brought that approach to the bigs - but unlike the minors, MLB pitchers had no problem whatsoever attacking the rookie hitter while painting the corners much more consistently than what he was accustomed to. As a result, he'd try the same approach that lifted him in the minors, but instead of working the count he'd be in the hole quickly. Kaleb Cowart had the same problem - but Kaleb Cowart was swinging at everything to lead to an 0-2 or 1-2 count, whereas Taylor was watching them go by and then having to fight back. His meager slash wasn't the result of him being overmatched in my eyes, but a player simply adjusting to the bigs and learning on the spot.

I'm optimistic that having another season away from catcher, and the obvious work he's been doing in the cage, is going to lead to a much improved Ward, and while I'd prefer he go to AAA and get some reps at a couple other positions to increase his versatility, he shouldn't be ruled out as having a real shot at the Opening Day 3B. He could quickly turn into a .265/.325/.425/.750 guy, and if that comes with decent defense, a few stolen bases, and 10-15 HRs in his rookie campaign, it'd be a big win for a guy who was almost written off going into 2018.

I've been one of the biggest David Fletcher fans here for years, but I realize his upside is limited. Ward brings a significantly higher ceiling, and if he's showing any signs of realizing that this spring, he needs to get the first shot at regular playing time.

Edited by totdprods

Simply put it’s easier to see a guy with plate discipline that draws some walks take a step forward than a guy that’s less likely to draw walks.   It’s abother reason why I have more faith than most that Kole and Cozart will perform better this year.  Even when Kole struggled in September he was still taking his walks. 

• Michael Hermosillo underwent offseason surgery to repair a sports hernia, he revealed Thursday in Angels camp.

Hermosillo dealt with the injury for part of last season and then aggravated it during an 18-inning game in the Dominican Winter League. He should be fine for the beginning of the 2019 campaign and could possibly work his way onto the Angels' Opening Day roster with a strong and healthy showing this spring.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:26 AM

10 hours ago, Lou said:

"Mike Trout showed up in spring training in 2012 with a mysterious illness. He had lost 15 pounds and was too weak to play in the initial Cactus League games. The Angels described the illness as a type of flu bug or virus. Trout was taking medication although doctors could not pinpoint the exact condition, after ruling out a thyroid disorder or Valley Fever. The result was that his chances of making the big league team shrank to nothing, and he was assigned to the AAA Salt Lake Bees to start the season."

well don't keep us in suspense - how'd it work out for him?!?

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

reminds me of when tiger woods had an injury and claimed his glutes weren't activating. 

i have no idea what that means, but when my glutes ARE activating, everyone in the house can tell, especially if there was a burrito or a bowl of chili involved.

even the neighbor will complain a little bit, but he's been know to be grumpy for all kinds of reasons.

Just now, AngelsFaninGA said:

One of our many injury prone pitchers suffers an injury. Never could have seen that coming.

tropeano not recovered, now Harvey....one a day so far!

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

is it a bad sign that on the first day of spring training one of our starters suffered an ass injury?

Better than a torn Achilles tendon. 

57 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

is it a bad sign that on the first day of spring training one of our starters suffered an ass injury?

I know it's just normal ST stuff that every team goes through, but given our recent history, every injury is extra salty.