Sign in to follow this  
GrittyVeterans

Paper on Economic History of Sports

11 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I would recommend sticking to one sport.  

8 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This is a good tip. Covering 'sports' in general will ultimately be an exercise in covering technological and social trends rather than getting into real details.

Yeah it's a good idea. I plan to definitely touch on the social, technological shifts, but with a 2000 word limit I don't think I'd be able to provide much data analysis if I went too far into it with each sport.

35 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Yeah it's a good idea. I plan to definitely touch on the social, technological shifts, but with a 2000 word limit I don't think I'd be able to provide much data analysis if I went too far into it with each sport.

haha! What? that's like 8 pages.  double spaced.  

you should narrow it even further.  How about the financial impact of free agency on baseball?  

You can't write that without detailing the rise income from sources that were never available to ballclubs before free agency began and how gate attendence isn't the driving factor for revenue. 

With this little space to work with, I'd pick an event-- Baseball Strikes, Curt Flood, Alex Rodruiguez's insane first contract-- or talk about the recent trend toward massive TV deals for sports teams.