Chuckster70

The Angels installed rapsodo devices!

27 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I wonder why this is just being incorporated now. Is this a controversial system in any way?

Probably because the new pitching coach was using it in Houston.

Little wonder that pitching has become so dominant in the game and Ks and hits are moving in opposite directions, with this type of technology.

I really dont see how technology can help the hitter much, to balance this. Yeah, analyzing launch angles exit velocity are moderately interesting stats. But they are more difficult to duplicate than how you throw a baseball.

It must be difficult to pick up different spins, as a batter, when they are measured in 1500+ rpm.

2 hours ago, eligrba said:

Why not use wins/loses and era as measures for quality pitching?  AW does.

man, what a selfish, jerk kind of thing to say.

because you forgot to include RBIs, the king of all stats.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

Little wonder that pitching has become so dominant in the game and Ks and hits are moving in opposite directions, with this type of technology.

I really dont see how technology can help the hitter much, to balance this. Yeah, analyzing launch angles exit velocity are moderately interesting stats. But they are more difficult to duplicate than how you throw a baseball.

It must be difficult to pick up different spins, as a batter, when they are measured in 1500+ rpm.

You're right, but that number is a bit deceptive. I believe the ball itself actually only spins about 10 times on the way to the plate at that rpm (assuming the ball is in the air about .4 seconds). Picturing 10 spins in that amount of time is still some crazy movement, but its not quite as intimidating sounding as 1500.

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2018/10/introduction-driveline-hitting-assessments/

If you are at all interested, read the link to Driveline Baseball.  Jason Ochart was a hitting coach at a small college in California before partnering up to create Driveline.  I read recently that the Phillies have hired him as a hitting coordinator.

Angels also made an untraditional hire in Derek Florko who was previously with Axe Bat and Titleist as part of their development staff.  Again, with the idea of teaching the hitting approach based off of technology.

Edited by Fregosi
adding more info

1 hour ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

I came here happy to find out that the Angels installed reposado tequila dispensing devices in the stadium. Dang. 

And I thought that Ausmus was now allowing televisions as well as some type of rap jukebox called a Rapsodo.