Sign in to follow this  
jordan

Breaking: Arenado signs extension with Rockies 8/$255+

48 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Callaspo career OPS+ 92

Arenado career Road OPS+ 79

You're right it is a ridiculous comparison, Callaspo was way better.

You are comparing a subset of OPS+ to overall OPS+. It’s not a useful comparison, and more importantly, it’s not valid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Taylor said:

I thought stud free agents always go to a winning team in their hometown.

That's a ridiculously good deal for Arenado. I doubt he'd do better in two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Have you guys noticed that Machado and Arenado both signed with teams that haven’t won much and aren’t where they are from?

The narrative that Trout wants to play for an east coast team because he’s from there is so overblown.

As is the narrative that the Angels have to prove to him they will win.

All players want to win, but that depends on a lot of factors out of their control. What they can do is sign for the most money in a place they want to be, where they are treated well and with people they like. 

lady gaga point GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A smart deal for both sides.  

Arenado wasn't going to get that from any other team because of the away splits factor.   The Rockies know they're getting a 5 WAR player for the next three years 

He got 8 years at a higher AAV than Manny and even though they're two years different in terms of season age, they're actually only about 1.3 years apart in actual age.  

In essence, it's really a 7 year extension and he'll finish this contract (assuming he doesn't opt out) at a younger age than Manny would if he plays out his entire deal with SD.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, YouthofToday said:

Shows how much money MLB teams are making. Mid to small market teams make bank kids  

 

Not sure how small to mid market the Denver Metro area is. 2.8 mil and increasing by about 2%/year. BIG corporate headquarters town. Can also draw on Ft. Collins and Colo Springs which is another 800K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, YouthofToday said:

Shows how much money MLB teams are making. Mid to small market teams make bank kids  

 

I agree.

every single team, including the small market ones, can afford to sign big name free agents. owners crying "poverty" are the biggest joke in MLB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Third baseman Nolan Arenado and the Colorado Rockies are finalizing an eight-year, contract extension worth more than $255M, league sources tell ESPN. Deal includes an opt-out after three years, would give Arenado the largest per-year salary of any position player.

-----

So is free agency still broken? Sounds like a pretty good deal for the player in this case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Third baseman Nolan Arenado and the Colorado Rockies are finalizing an eight-year, contract extension worth more than $255M, league sources tell ESPN. Deal includes an opt-out after three years, would give Arenado the largest per-year salary of any position player.

-----

So is free agency still broken? Sounds like a pretty good deal for the player in this case.

 

He wasn’t a free agent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lou said:

I agree.

every single team, including the small market ones, can afford to sign big name free agents. owners crying "poverty" are the biggest joke in MLB 

What owners are crying poverty? I think that narrative is increasingly looking unsupported. Players are still getting paid nicely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wopphil said:

What owners are crying poverty? I think that narrative is increasingly looking unsupported. Players are still getting paid nicely. 

Here are a few that do.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/ray-ratto/oakland-are-team-cries-poverty-ingests-wealth

It’s about OAK, but mentions TB, PIT, and MIA as others that do as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

It isn’t in this case. COL didn’t have to bid against any other teams for Arenado here.

That's irrelevant.

The whole issue this offseason has been MLB teams' apparent unwillingness to pay, and commit to the years.

COL did both.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jay said:

That's irrelevant.

The whole issue this offseason has been MLB teams' apparent unwillingness to pay, and commit to the years.

COL did both.

 

No the whole issue is commitment to years and dollars for average players or older players, neither is the case here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No the whole issue is commitment to years and dollars for average players or older players, neither is the case here. 

No it isn't, the whole issue was Harper and Machado going unsigned for so long, and both are young.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jay said:

No it isn't, the whole issue was Harper and Machado going unsigned for so long, and both are young.

 

And if Machado was offered $300 million back in November he still goes unsigned as he tries to get more.  We went into this off season with people thinking these guys were going to get $350 million to $400 million.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And if Machado was offered $300 million back in November he still goes unsigned as he tries to get more.  We went into this off season with people thinking these guys were going to get $350 million to $400 million.  

Thanks for making my point, free agency is not broken.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free agency isn’t broken. The CBA is.

its absolutely ludicrous that teams are heavily incentived to have some of their best players in the minors due to service time manipulation.

Change FA to be 8 years after being drafted out of high school. 6 after college. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options