Sign in to follow this  
Chuckster70

Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

60 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kody Mac said:

Was planning on taking my wife to France in December and this was going to be one of the first stops.... Damn. My heart breaks for France. 

And I agree with Lou. Let's keep divisiveness out right now. There will be a time for that, but while the tragedy is still ongoing is not it. I just hope nobody got trapped inside.

A friend of mine was in France just a week or two back, but decided against visiting the Cathedral at that time.   He is kicking himself royally, I imagine.  

I honestly can’t believe it looks that good.  Those pictures from outside of the fire burning looked like the whole damn place was gonna burn.  Great news relatively.  I presume most of the burning was up in higher parts of the cathedral. Tons of wood up there.  In fact they referred to a portion of the rafters as the “forest”.  

It’s awfully good that place was 3D mapped.   They’ll rebuild.  A terrible tragedy though. 

Notre-Dame's famed rose window spared but blaze harms priceless artworks

“We have avoided a complete disaster. But some five to 10 percent of the artwork has probably been destroyed, we have to face up to that,” Cumunel said. Four of the largest-scale 17th and 18th century paintings depicting scenes from the lives of the apostles had been damaged, at least in part, he added.

Considering what the photos of the blaze looked like.  While tragic, that's an amazingly low %.

26 minutes ago, red321 said:

Interesting article written a few years ago about Notre Dame and how it was falling apart and badly in need of significant repairs..in a perverse sense over the long term this fire maybe ends up "saving" Notre Dame

http://time.com/4876087/notre-dame-cathedral-is-crumbling/

"Why did they use such old wood and stone?" /Trump