Sign in to follow this  
krAbs

Skaggs to 10 day IL

149 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Skaggs is made out of glass. If he’s part of a trade at the deadline (if he can stay healthy that long) I think you have to pull the trigger. Dude just cannot stay healthy and has mediocre overall results. 

Even better gloss:  Glass Joe Skaggs

Dude is a FA after 2020, turns 28 this year, and has NEVER, eeeever exceeded 125 innings in a MLB season.  

Trade him in July.  That is, if he's not on the DL, A-gain.

6 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Only thing surprising about this is that it isn't related to dehydration or bicep soreness.

I was told before the season this was the year where Skaggs will throw 180+ innings...lol. 

Oh yea, who told you that?  

5 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It's time for Canning and Barria to get some looks anyway, though. This team needs to move on to a new era of pitching and those guys are the beginning of that. Time to move away from this same injury prone staff they continue to roll out there

Why?  When they are available to pitch when the injuries occur?  What happens if we move on from those guys, and these guys get injured?  Who gets called up then?  Were fine with the game plan they are currently using.  Is it ideal, no, but we are biding our time until we know they are ready, right now they don’t know that.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why?  When they are available to pitch when the injuries occur?  What happens if we move on from those guys, and these guys get injured?  Who gets called up then?  Were fine with the game plan they are currently using.  Is it ideal, no, but we are biding our time until we know they are ready, right now they don’t know that.  

I'm fine with the current strategy. I just think patience has to be wearing thin with some of these guys. Cahill so far gets an A+. Heaney/Skaggs are inching closer and closer to Richards territory. Harvey is still a wait and see. 

Ultimately, they won't be able to commit to all these injury question marks season after season IMO. The financial commitment matters at the end of the day when you are paying these guys to be on the IL for 1/3 of the year.

15 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It's time for Canning and Barria to get some looks anyway, though. This team needs to move on to a new era of pitching and those guys are the beginning of that. Time to move away from this same injury prone staff they continue to roll out there

Barria has had several looks....and has looked pretty good.

idk about you guys but I'm just about ready to completely move on from our "rotation of old" to guys like Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Canning. I'm not calling for them to be called up ASAP but it will just be a welcome sight to see when they do arrive. There has just been too many bad memories with guys like Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Shoemaker and Trop. It is just emotionally exhausting rooting for any of these guys to stay healthy. 

Today the Angels have made the following transactions:

·         LHP Tyler Skaggs – placed on 10-day IL with left ankle sprain (retro to 4/13)

·         RHP Jaime Barria – recalled from Salt Lake

·         3B Taylor Ward – optioned to Salt Lake

·         RHP John Curtiss – recalled from Salt Lake

5 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

idk about you guys but I'm just about ready to completely move on from our "rotation of old" to guys like Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Canning. I'm not calling for them to be called up ASAP but it will just be a welcome sight to see when they do arrive. There has just been too many bad memories with guys like Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Shoemaker and Trop. It is just emotionally exhausting rooting for any of these guys to stay healthy. 

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say, but you worded it much better than I did

5 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I agree completely, but isn't that what they're in the process of doing? They let Richards and Shoemaker walk. I have not heard anyone talk about extending Heaney, Skaggs or Tropeano. (Admittedly I could have missed something.) If those guys can't stay healthy, don't we expect the Angels to let them walk, too?

dude pitched through an injury last year and got grief for being less effective.  

he gave up 3 hrs in his last start at wrigley with the wind blowing out.  

now on the IL and likely to miss 1 start because the Halos needed a roster spot with 14 games in a row coming up.   

btw, this scenario is exactly why the 10d IL exists.  So a pitcher doesn't have to sit around clogging up a spot when you know they're going to miss one start but you don't think they'll miss two.  

and this is the final straw to want to 'move on' from half the rotation?  seems reasonable.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

dude pitched through an injury last year and got grief for being less effective.  

he gave up 3 hrs in his last start at wrigley with the wind blowing out.  

now on the IL and likely to miss 1 start because the Halos needed a roster spot with 14 games in a row coming up.   

btw, this scenario is exactly why the 10d IL exists.  So a pitcher doesn't have to sit around clogging up a spot when you know they're going to miss one start but you don't think they'll miss two.  

and this is the final straw to want to 'move on' from half the rotation?  seems reasonable.  

Shut up 

50 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Skaggs is again channeling his inner Joe Montana (China Doll).

There's the LHP to trade, can't stay healthy for a full freaking season.     

i have to agreed with you, i'm sick and tired of this. Hopefully skaggs has a solid year and than trade him for a nice return...If he can duplicate first half 2018, he should fetch us a nice return.