Sign in to follow this  
RBM

Was Ausmus Out-Managed Last Night? (4/22 vs. Yankees).

84 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

Maybe, but I don't think there are any metrics that say you should burn three players for one at bat in a close game. That Fletcher/Bour/La Stella decision is hard to defend in any way.

I’m not defending it. I’m just saying I doubt it was made by Ausmus in the heat of the game 

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yep.

Anyway you can analyze the crap out of these things but bottom line guys didn't hit when they needed to hit.

The guy with the Hall of Fame numbers was 0-5 and his average is down to .221, career BA of .302.

He will finish his career below .300, that's highly probable.

19 minutes ago, RBM said:

Maybe, but I don't think there are any metrics that say you should burn three players for one at bat in a close game. That Fletcher/Bour/La Stella decision is hard to defend in any way.

I’m willing to bet there are metrics for that match up.  Or else they would not have done it.   They don’t try to put themselves in a worse position. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m willing to bet there are metrics for that match up.  Or else they would not have done it.   They don’t try to put themselves in a worse position. 

They can always find metrics to justify decisions but in the end they are bad decisions being justified by metrics. The bottom line for me is that a manager should put his team in a position to win it on the field. He shouldn't make it more difficult for the team to be successful. Last night, Ausmus made bad decisions that hurt the team. He should be accountable just like his players are.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

I didn't watch the end of the game... I just saw he took the loss.  Thanks.

He located better last night and generated 4 strikeouts over 2 innings, giving up just 1 unearned run, so it wasn't on him really. 

41 minutes ago, True Grich said:

All this crap makes it look like you can't hold the manager accountable and I don't like that at all.

You can hold the manager accountable, he's the one making the decisions. 

Mr. Metrics man isn't holding a gun to Ausmus head to make in-game changes. Metrics from the past are one thing, but the current bottom line results are another. 

Ausmus is the only one that can pull the trigger on these calls, so he IS accountable. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Mr. Metrics man isn't holding a gun to Ausmus head to make in-game changes.

I'm not so sure about that.  It's probably a virtual gun and therefore, we can't see it.  And who in the heck is this Mr. Metrics Man?

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

He located better last night and generated 4 strikeouts over 2 innings, giving up just 1 unearned run, so it wasn't on him really. 

He actually struck out four in ONE inning...the 14th.

Bottom line is that this loss wasn't on Bard. He did his job. He had 4 Ks in the decisive inning. Pitchers should never have to K four in an inning.

However, WTF was Cahill doing at the plate in the bottom of the 14th? Yes, I get that Cozart injured himself, blah blah blah.

But the fact that the Cozart injury led to Bourjos having to play 2nd base for two innings was from lack of planning or foresight or whatever you want to call it. THAT is on the manager. 

Just now, Mark68 said:

Bottom line is that this loss wasn't on Bard. He did his job. He had 4 Ks in the decisive inning. Pitchers should never have to K four in an inning.

However, WTF was Cahill doing at the plate in the bottom of the 14th? Yes, I get that Cozart injured himself, blah blah blah.

But the fact that the Cozart injury led to Bourjos having to play 2nd base for two innings was from lack of planning or foresight or whatever you want to call it. THAT is on the manager. 

When you're already using your only two catchers in the lineup, you really need to be wise on how you utilize guys off your bench throughout a game.

Pinch hitting for Fletcher earlier in the contest for the likes of Bour was incredibly stupid. 

First off, Fletcher rarely strikes out and has been one of our better hitters. Secondly, keep La Stella available for a pinch hitting role later in the game for the likes of Cozart, who has been our worst hitter to date. He was also available for Cozart when he went down with an injury, rather than having Bourjos in that spot at 2B. You can then move Fletcher to 3B and La Stella enters in at 2B. You still have Bour on the bench that you could utilize late in the game for a potential walk off HR. 

He's done some moves like this that have had me scratching my head, so it's something to be on top of as a fan and hopefully one of the beat writers calls him out on it. Respectfully, of course. 

4 minutes ago, True Grich said:

@Mark68 the metrics showed Ausmus that Bourjos should play 2B at that stage in the game.  You can't argue with the computer.

Well no, you can't argue with the computer. The computer says nothing. It just sits there. 

Ergo, not an argument. It's just screaming at the computer. 

Just now, Mark68 said:

Well no, you can't argue with the computer. The computer says nothing. It just sits there. 

Ergo, not an argument. It's just screaming at the computer. 

I'm sure AO does that all the time.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Hey @True Grich, I'd like your thoughts on this one. LOL

The modern pitching staff isn't concerned with wins - just spin rates.  It's more cool to have a high spin rate than it is to be a winner.

Again... all these "new" stats seem like a consolation prize for not winning.  You're a loser, but congrats on leading the league in XYZ stat.

Give me "old school" when baseball was fun.