Sign in to follow this  
totdprods

Lucroy

29 posts in this topic

His defense hasn’t been particularly good, and hard to say he’s doing a good job with the staff given their results, but he’s now sporting an .800 OPS - similar, and actually better, than what he posted in his Brewer career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, totdprods said:

His defense hasn’t been particularly good, and hard to say he’s doing a good job with the staff given their results, but he’s now sporting an .800 OPS - similar, and actually better, than what he posted in his Brewer career.

Did Lucroy sign a 1 or 2 year deal?

I'm thinking we should trade him to a contending team if it's a one year dealio. 

He's been great with a bat, but an absolute bust defensively and with the pitching staff. His pitch framing is well below average too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Did Lucroy sign a 1 or 2 year deal?

I'm thinking we should trade him to a contending team if it's a one year dealio. 

He's been great with a bat, but an absolute bust defensively and with the pitching staff. His pitch framing is well below average too. 

One year deal. Unless he totally falls apart - two months is a long time - I imagine he’s a virtual lock to be dealt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also...

  • Smith: .290/.397/.435/.833, 126 OPS+
  • Lucroy: .273/.340/.460/.800, 114 OPS+
  • Realmuto: .273/.328/.455/.783, 104 OPS+ 
  • Grandal: .271/.376/.484/.860, 125 OPS+ 
  • Ramos: .257/.333/.347/.681, 90 OPS+ 
  • Maldonado: .202/.307/.261/.567, 56 OPS+

When considering the costs involved, we came out pretty good on the catcher front...so far. Especially if we get a good prospect or two back in July.

Edited by totdprods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The A’s pitchers loved Lucroy last year. I doubt he’s changed. 

Also, you’ll notice the younger, less experienced, Angels pitchers are all doing better than the older ones. 

We love a lot of things that aren't good for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The A’s pitchers loved Lucroy last year. I doubt he’s changed. 

Also, you’ll notice the younger, less experienced, Angels pitchers are all doing better than the older ones. 

Is this because of Lucroy's catching or the younger players listening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expected much different things from Lucroy.  His blocking has been poor and he's been terrible at throwing out runners.   

His framing stats have come around and he's actually doing a very good job now.  

Where I have been most disappointed is with his pitch calling but @Jeff Fletcher makes a good point (of course) that the younger guys has fared better than the vets.  I also think some of that could be coming from the pre game plan established with Brad and Doug as well as the metrics guys.  

His offense has been very good and a pleasant surprise.  

I actually think he's getting better as the season goes which makes sense.  

At first I wasn't sold but I've been coming around lately.  

He's gonna be worth a nice prospect at the deadline if his offense stays where it's at.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, totdprods said:

One year deal. Unless he totally falls apart - two months is a long time - I imagine he’s a virtual lock to be dealt. 

If we’re in contention, it’d be imperative for us to hold on to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, totdprods said:

One year deal. Unless he totally falls apart - two months is a long time - I imagine he’s a virtual lock to be dealt. 

I'll include @Dochalo in this one as well since you both seem to believe the same thing.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels kept Lucroy.  The Angels young starters are doing much better than the experienced veterans and with so many young arms coming up, the Angels will need a veteran to guide them.  Rather than trade him, they may look at extending him for a couple more years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Second Base said:

I'll include @Dochalo in this one as well since you both seem to believe the same thing.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels kept Lucroy.  The Angels young starters are doing much better than the experienced veterans and with so many young arms coming up, the Angels will need a veteran to guide them.  Rather than trade him, they may look at extending him for a couple more years. 

They can re-sign him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Second Base said:

I'll include @Dochalo in this one as well since you both seem to believe the same thing.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels kept Lucroy.  The Angels young starters are doing much better than the experienced veterans and with so many young arms coming up, the Angels will need a veteran to guide them.  Rather than trade him, they may look at extending him for a couple more years. 

that's entirely possible.  Like I said, I haven't been impressed with the pitch calling but I'm willing to concede it might not all be on him.  If he's doing well at grooming a young staff, then by all means, keep him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Second Base said:

It isn't common for players traded away to re-sign with the team that willingly traded them away. When it does happen, it's pretty noteworthy. 

Obviously...it isn't unlikely, but it isn't impossible. 

I like Lucroy and agree, we need a catcher for the immediate future, but if we were able to pry away another Patrick Sandoval, that'd be better and of much more value to us.

We can continue signing FA vet catchers in the offseason. Eppler has done a great job finding catchers cheaply year in and year out, from Maldonado to Arcia to Briceno. Even Rivera and Soto played well in their limited time. Lucroy and Smith are doing well. Hudson hit well in the minors for us, as is Pena and Garneau recently. Whatever data they use to find catchers, works, so I have faith he can find someone again in the offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Second Base said:

It isn't common for players traded away to re-sign with the team that willingly traded them away. When it does happen, it's pretty noteworthy. 

Chapman back to Yanks, after being traded to the Cubs....only one I can think of....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Chapman back to Yanks, after being traded to the Cubs....only one I can think of....

Cliff Lee went back to Philly one year after being traded to Seattle. But that's the only other one I can think of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Chapman back to Yanks, after being traded to the Cubs....only one I can think of....

Jesse Chavez back to the Rangers, also.

Not exactly the same circumstances, but catchers especially have a history of returning back to clubs they played for recently. Avila to the Tigers (left ‘15, back in ‘17). Iannetta back to the Rockies. McCann back to the Braves. Suzuki back to the Braves. Rene Rivera back to the Mets. Chris Gimenez returned to the Rangers twice.

And one layer removed still, as some involved trades, minor league deals, and longer stints  between returns, Lowrie back to Oakland, Bourjos back to the Angels, Cahill re-signing with Oakland, and of course legacy instances like Ichiro and Griffey with Seattle and Beltran with the Astros.

Not very likely, not impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Obviously...it isn't unlikely, but it isn't impossible. 

I like Lucroy and agree, we need a catcher for the immediate future, but if we were able to pry away another Patrick Sandoval, that'd be better and of much more value to us.

We can continue signing FA vet catchers in the offseason. Eppler has done a great job finding catchers cheaply year in and year out, from Maldonado to Arcia to Briceno. Even Rivera and Soto played well in their limited time. Lucroy and Smith are doing well. Hudson hit well in the minors for us, as is Pena and Garneau recently. Whatever data they use to find catchers, works, so I have faith he can find someone again in the offseason.

That's a good point.  If we can get Pat Sandoval for Maldonado, we can probably get something pretty exciting for Lucroy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options