Sign in to follow this  
NJHalo

RIP Bill Buckner

27 posts in this topic

When I was young and not “woke” I was a Dodgers fan and remember when Buckner came up. They were predicting him to be a batting champion one day.  He was far and away my favorite Dodger and if given a choice when playing sports I would always ask for number 22.  When I became an Angels fans one of my first favorite players was Bruce Bochte.  Initials BB, left fielder, and number 22.  

It’s too bad the World Series is what comes to mind when his name is mentioned because he was a really good player and had a really good career.  Thanks Billy for the memories and may you Rest In Peace.  

He will unfortunately be remembered for the error and not for his contributions getting the Red Sox to the World Series.  He was a major offensive force during that year despite being nearly crippled by his ankles.

It's a double edged sword. 

Yes, he'll be remembered for the WS error, but most fans will be reminded that he was much more than that. A classic sports 'tragic hero' identified with one play or event but still someone who was a career valuable part of different rosters.

To young to remember him play, but of course I know the play that lost the series. I always heard he was a very good player and borderline hall of fame. He stole based, had 2700 hits and nearly 500 doubles. With all that said he averaged less than 1 WAR a year. Advanced metrics don't like him much. 

a really good hitter who deserves a better legacy than the botched play at first.

when aaron was chasing ruth, there was a reward offered to whoever caught #715. buckner was playing left field that april night and climbed the wall desperately trying to catch aaron's shot (relief pitcher tom house caught the ball). of course, had buckner actually caught the ball, it wouldn't have been a homer, but that's beside the point.

sorry to hear he was ill.

I remember him stealing 2nd, 3rd, and home in one inning when he was with the Dogs. Once he tore up his ankle those days were over and he was limited to playing first base but he could always hit

RIP

Never struck out more than 2 times in a game 
Never struck out more than 40 times in a season 
Had the second most hits in the 70’s and 80’s, Pete rose being first 
Played 186 innings in the post season and only committed 1 error

26 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

The error didn’t even lose them the series, it was a tie game in game 6 

Well it cost them Game 6, the Mets scored the winning run on that play to force a Game 7, which they won.