Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

Samsung A80 - future of phones?

5 posts in this topic

So ran across this phone.  Samsung is supposedly going to come out with a mystery phone towards the end of the year.  And speculation is it's not a new fold.  But a higher end version of the A80, especially since the A80 seems to be an India initial release.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/04/11/samsung-galaxy-s10-upgrade-galaxy-a80-release-buy/#259bbc557add

https://news.samsung.com/uk/new-samsung-galaxy-a80-built-for-the-era-of-live

Biggest drawback I see of the A80 is no SD card support which is big for me, since games take up a bunch of space.  Also no headphone jack.  But the camera concept is pretty cool.  Not sure how they will do cases.  Oh, and did I mention the A80 is a midrange phone?  For the specs listed, it's not bad compared to the S10+.

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Samsung-Galaxy-A80-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S10-Plus

games take up a ton of space?  I guess I don't play any mobile games but the only thing that has ever been a big deal for storage for me has been music.  I have my entire library on my 256gb iphone.

43 minutes ago, nate said:

games take up a ton of space?  I guess I don't play any mobile games but the only thing that has ever been a big deal for storage for me has been music.  I have my entire library on my 256gb iphone.

You'd be surprised on these modern games.  CSR2 which is as basic of a racing game as you can get is 5.5 gb.  Asphalt was similar before I got sick of the grind.  Even Simpsons before I nixed it was 5 gb, and it might have been even more.  Coverfire which is a pretty simple shoot em up is 500 mb.  Music wise, yeah I'm with you.  I have 4.1 gb saved on my phone.  And before someone says, why don't I just stream it.  When I disappear into the mountains, the only streaming is when I jump in the water.  

Oh, I mean I have 170 gb of music on my phone, it's especially important for air travel.

But I don't think I have any games on my phone, gaming on a phone seems so pointless.  For a handheld there is the Switch and for real gaming there is a PC.

21 minutes ago, nate said:

Oh, I mean I have 170 gb of music on my phone, it's especially important for air travel.

But I don't think I have any games on my phone, gaming on a phone seems so pointless.  For a handheld there is the Switch and for real gaming there is a PC.

You'd be surprised on these games.  But I guess it would all depend on what types of games you are looking for.  I don't play the mmporg type games anymore.  And most of these types of games are mobile only.  But mobile games have come a long way from even a few years ago when games had to be on the pc.