Sign in to follow this  
True Grich

Exciting and Interesting Times

41 posts in this topic

It'll be interesting to see what sticks and what doesn't.  I LOVE Rengifo's glove at 2B and the speed he brings.  David Fletcher just keeps hitting the ball where they ain't.  La Stella looks like a genuine stud.  Puello and Goodwin are plug-and-plays that are actually performing, which wasn't expected.  Canning is the best pitcher on this team (outside of Ohtani), which is pretty much what myself and others have been saying for a year now.  I had serious doubts about Pena as a starter, but ever since he's been attached to an opener, those have since been erased.  Suarez is an exciting competitor.  Then we also have guys like Walsh, Thaiss and Ward who are either on the roster and playing or are on the cusp.

I don't know what will and won't effect next year's roster, but I think it's clear from what we're seeing right now that the future is indeed bright for the Angels.  2020-2030 is going to be amazing. 

Kinda sucks, Puello is likely out of the org within a couple weeks.  He and Goodwin are our of options, so at the latest, once Upton’s back, we’ll likely lose one.

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Kinda sucks, Puello is likely out of the org within a couple weeks.  He and Goodwin are our of options, so at the latest, once Upton’s back, we’ll likely lose one.

I wonder if Eppler will trade one. Puello getting 50+ PA and hopefully doing well gives him a touch of value. Or they could trade Goodwin and keep Puello as 4OF.

They also have a lineup without any noticeable holes once they get Cozart out.

Only tinkering Ausmus could do is to get more at bats for Walsh and Puello and less at bats for Pujols.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Can Puello play any 1st base?

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

This season has been interesting and exciting on many levels. 

First we had the changing of the guard with Brad Ausmus becoming the manager. Like him or not - he's doing things differently and we're seeing a different brand/style of baseball from him.

Then there's the influx of young talent coming up from the minor leagues.  I don't think any of us are used to seeing the volume of young guys coming up to step in and actually get playing time.  You know the names... The results are still to be determined - but the direction is looking promising.  There's optimism for sure and there's definitely excitement.  And then there's the stories.  The stories behind guys like Walsh, Puello, etc. and their path to the bigs.  Then you add in the surprises like Goodwin and La Stella...  Again - these are interesting times for sure.

AND... there's more to come.  JC Ramirez is on rehab assignment.  J-Up is getting closer. 

How are you guys feeling? 

I was already feeling good, but after reading this post I'm like.

happy carlton GIF

If someone had told me in March that the Halos would be without JUp for the first two months, see Cozart hit like Koufax, have Simba DL'd for a while, have Ohtani only putting up around a .740 OPS, and have mostly crummy starting pitching, and STILL only be two games behind the 2nd WC two months into the season, I would have asked which brand they were smoking.   

We are going to make the playoffs. Pitching relief and the offense will be there. It’s a very long season we seem to forget that a lot. This team has to much talent not to

You guys always get excited like this after the team wins a few games. Then they get 1 game below .500 and you all sport a half chub before the Angels then go on a 6 game losing streak.

I am not optimistic about this team at all. Let's see them get to .500 first, then we'll talk.

rachel dratch snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Kevin, if the Angels go to the playoffs I'm going to ban the account that you remember the password for.

Why? 

Guardedly optimistic.  We need a lot of these guys to become legit major leaguers to be truly competitive anytime soon so im hoping they can step into those roles by end of 19 or first part of 20. 

Excited about the new guys this season, but the washed up free agents have been God awful. The Angel farm system has improved. Now if Eppler could actually select competent veteran players? And the Albatross contract still looms.....

6 minutes ago, cvdog said:

Excited about the new guys this season, but the washed up free agents have been God awful. The Angel farm system has improved. Now if Eppler could actually select competent veteran players? And the Albatross contract still looms.....

It looms less each year. 

Or as it says in the Bible, this too shall pass.