Sign in to follow this  
Dochalo

How are the Angels worse than the Rangers?

44 posts in this topic

A rookie is the Angels best starter by a country mile. That's how bad things are for our SP. 

There is hope that it will get better, but it's not going to happen fully until they get Ohtani back on the mound and one more front of the rotation type. Harvey/Cahill need to go now. Skaggs needs to go at the end of the year. Tropeano needed to go a long time ago. Heaney I will give a little more slack to for now. 

Rotation next year:

Ohtani

FA/Trade (Cole? Bauer? etc.)

Canning

Heaney

Suarez

17 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I just don't like him Strad. I think he's a terrible manager and to make things worse he's kind of an asshole.

That said, I'll wait and see how he does after Upton and Simmons get back and reevaluate after the season. 

This is the result of the stats only manager. They forget that alot of decisions require insight and a feel. Use the stats but also your experience and knowledge of the game.  

Just now, jgimondo said:

What does that have to do with anything?

Kind of does, although there is book smart (analytics smart) and also street smart (baseball savvy smart).

There is definite question about the latter one. 

23 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Kind of does, although there is book smart (analytics smart) and also street smart (baseball savvy smart).

There is definite question about the latter one. 

He needs to be fired , he is a terrible manager.

4 minutes ago, jgimondo said:

He needs to be fired , he is a terrible manager.

Why?  Like seriously, why?  They have played something like 70 games.  He has very little length from his starting rotation to rely on.  He hasn’t even come close to having the full roster yet.  When we get Upton back we will still be missing Simmons.  He took Allen out of the closers role much quicker than my guy Scioscia would have.   He removed Cozart from being an every day player.  He has held true to his word that Albert wouldn’t simply play everyday because he is Albert (although he didn’t call Albert out by name).  He has used Buttrey in high level situations instead of the typical formulated bullpen.  I have no idea if he is the right manager, but I will be a little more patient, because it really is going to come down to how the clubhouse feels about him.  

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Why?  Like seriously, why?  They have played something like 70 games.  He has very little length from his starting rotation to rely on.  He hasn’t even come close to having the full roster yet.  When we get Upton back we will still be missing Simmons.  He took Allen out of the closers role much quicker than my guy Scioscia would have.   He removed Cozart from being an every day player.  He has held true to his word that Albert wouldn’t simply play everyday because he is Albert (although he didn’t call Albert out by name).  He has used Buttrey in high level situations instead of the typical formulated bullpen.  I have no idea if he is the right manager, but I will be a little more patient, because it really is going to come down to how the clubhouse feels about him.  

Ausmus’s ingame strategy is light years better than Scioscia. Can’t speak for how they run the clubhouse, but critiquing him for bad results because the guys he was given can’t pitch isn’t on him. The offense, despite missing key players, is elite. 

11 minutes ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

Remember when the Angels said their next manager was gonna have to pass some written test.

Then they give the job to the inside guy.

No. But I remember testing being part of the process.  

On 6/9/2019 at 11:54 PM, Dochalo said:

Somehow, the Rangers have a mediocre offense, mediocre rotation, and a below average pen.  

Their two best hitters are Shin-Soo Choo and Hunter Pence with Gallo on the DL.  

Outside of Minor, their rotation is actually pretty bad.  

Yet they've pieced together a team that's 4 games above .500 with positive run differential.  

How is it that the Angels can't do that with the best player in the game and 40 mil more in payroll?  

I like that the Rangers cut bait on the bad SPs in favor of their younger guys when the vets shit the bed.   Jurado and Sampson have done well -- Jurado more so than Sampson.   Miller was out early, Volquez too due to injury... today they announced that Smyly is out the rotation.  Looking at their roster it looks like Joe Palumbo may be getting his spot, so he's making the jump from AA to MLB.  Props.

The thing about the Rangers that has to be worrying Ranger fans is that their offense has been getting carried by guys like Choo, Pence, Forsythe, and Cabrera....  they have gotten a lot out of Danny Santana too.   But among the young guys that are supposed to be making their future core only Gallo has really done well -- Calhoun had a nice run of 30 or so at bats before getting hurt, but otherwise, Guzman, Odor, Mazara, and Deshields have underwhelmed. So even if they continue their winning ways, they haven't improved as a team long term and they don't have a lot of immediate help on the farm.   I think they are going to need to move Minor for some young bats to try to speed the process along.

Also betting they end up being big FA players as they move into their new park next year.   Interesting team to watch.  

AL West has a lot going on.