Sign in to follow this  
BackUpTheTruck

What was worse?

What was worse?  

35 members have voted

  1. 1. What was worse?

    • Blanton/Burnett/Madson/Hanson
    • Allen/Harvey/Cahill


62 posts in this topic

The two guys who were hurt couldn't throw getting deals was worse.   Also, trading a perfectly fine RP for a broken SP wasn't bright.     I have a hard time defending Harvey or Allen, but the Cahill deal at least could be pinned on some recent success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Blanton (-0.4 fWAR, $15 million)

Sean Burnett (-0.1 fWAR, $9.5 million)

Ryan Madson ($3.25 million, didn't pitch)

Tommy Hanson (0.4 fWAR, $3.75 million)

 

Total: -0.1 fWAR, $31.5 million

 

Matt Harvey (-0.2 fWAR, $11 million)

Trevor Cahill (-0.5 fWAR, $9 million)

Cody Allen (-0.7 fWAR, $8.5 million)

 

Total: -1.4 fWAR, $28.5 million

 

The latter group, while $3 million cheaper, has been worth 1.3 wins less.  Gotta go with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can't decide.  I never thought the Angel's could have two worse starting pitchers than Hanson and Blanton.  We found them in Cahill and Harvey.  

Allen pitched like shit.  At least Madson and Barnett didnt cost us games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Joe Blanton (-0.4 fWAR, $15 million)

Sean Burnett (-0.1 fWAR, $9.5 million)

Ryan Madson ($3.25 million, didn't pitch)

Tommy Hanson (0.4 fWAR, $3.75 million)

 

Total: -0.1 fWAR, $31.5 million

 

Matt Harvey (-0.2 fWAR, $11 million)

Trevor Cahill (-0.5 fWAR, $9 million)

Cody Allen (-0.7 fWAR, $8.5 million)

 

Total: -1.4 fWAR, $28.5 million

 

The latter group, while $3 million cheaper, has been worth 1.3 wins less.  Gotta go with them.

Take out Madson and the price is nearly the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

Joe Blanton (-0.4 fWAR, $15 million)

Sean Burnett (-0.1 fWAR, $9.5 million)

Ryan Madson ($3.25 million, didn't pitch)

Tommy Hanson (0.4 fWAR, $3.75 million)

 

Total: -0.1 fWAR, $31.5 million

 

Matt Harvey (-0.2 fWAR, $11 million)

Trevor Cahill (-0.5 fWAR, $9 million)

Cody Allen (-0.7 fWAR, $8.5 million)

 

Total: -1.4 fWAR, $28.5 million

 

The latter group, while $3 million cheaper, has been worth 1.3 wins less.  Gotta go with them.

This is the answer. Wow. It’s worse when laid out like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lou said:

How many innings did each group pitch?

Burnett: 10.1

Hanson: 73

Blanton: 132.2

Total: 216

Harvey: 48

Cahill: 57.2

Allen: 23

Total: 128.2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the future, we'll be starting threads about who was worse... Dipoto or Eppler as we exclaim how great our new GM - Jeff Mathis is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, True Grich said:

In the future, we'll be starting threads about who was worse... Dipoto or Eppler as we exclaim how great our new GM - Jeff Mathis is.

Our new GM will be Curtis Pride. He can sign anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

Burnett: 10.1

Hanson: 73

Blanton: 132.2

Total: 216

Harvey: 48

Cahill: 57.2

Allen: 23

Total: 128.2

None of them threw 235 pitches in one game so they’re all useless in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lou said:

Thanks.

In that case, the first group was worse 

But imagine the negative fWAR if they pitched an additional 100 innings or so.  They’ve done more damage in half the time!

shocked gif wow GIF

Edited by Biergott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Joe Blanton (-0.4 fWAR, $15 million)
Sean Burnett (-0.1 fWAR, $9.5 million)
Ryan Madson ($3.25 million, didn't pitch)
Tommy Hanson (0.4 fWAR, $3.75 million)

Total: -0.1 fWAR, $31.5 million

 

Matt Harvey (-0.2 fWAR, $11 million)
Trevor Cahill (-0.5 fWAR, $9 million)
Cody Allen (-0.7 fWAR, $8.5 million)

Total: -1.4 fWAR, $28.5 million

The latter group, while $3 million cheaper, has been worth 1.3 wins less.  Gotta go with them.

If only the cost of WAR per dollars was a static thing -- it isn't

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-recent-history-of-free-agent-pricing/

Forecasted Dollars per WAR
Year $/WAR estimate
2018 $11.1
2019 $11.7
2020 $12.4
2021 $13.2
2022 $13.9
Best Estimates of Dollars per WAR of Free-Agent Market
Year $/WAR estimate % Change
     
2012 $6.9 7%
2013 $7.5 9%
2014 $7.7 2%
2015 $8.7 14%
2016 $9.6 10%
2017 $10.5 9%

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Biergott said:

But imagine the negative fWAR if they pitched an additional 100 innings or so.  They’ve done more damage in half the time!

I'm praying we don't find out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options