JoJo26

Tyler Skaggs, R.I.P.

579 posts in this topic

Been looking through this thread over the last half-hour and, obviously, I'm shocked and saddened like the rest of you. Of course, I immediately thought of Nick Adenhart, and also of Darryl Kile, whose death came under similar circumstances.

I was already having an irritating day, having to go the doctor for a back condition that flared up, and then realizing I had a sudden problem with my car that will now be dealt with, but then I sat down for lunch with my Dad and hit the twitter ap on my phone, and the first tweet was from the club announcing the death. That put everything into perspective.

My thoughts and prayers to his wife and family. God that wedding video looks so melancholy now, seeing a young couple with their whole lives supposedly ahead of them and not knowing that Tyler would have just seven months left.

And, although it's already been stated, I have to say that Santa Monica Observer story was about the worst piece of journalism I've ever seen, and I've been in the newspaper business for a lot of years. The whole thing about the drugs was pure speculation, no sourcing or anything, and there was no reason to compare it with Tom Petty's death. If that showed up at my newspaper, the editors would have spiked it immediately and the reporter would have been called in for a little meeting. And, then he brings up Tommy Hanson's death and how the Angels had to "deal with" it. Um, Hanson had been out of the organization for two years when he died, so I don't think this hit the Angels quite as hard as the death today. Nice job on your research.

I remember washing my truck just after adenhart died. Maybe a week after.

Listening to the after show on the radio, back when Terry Smith would do it. Some guy called in and said it was sad, but that the Angels need to move past it, they cant play shitty going forward. "No excuses". Basically what the idiot who called in today said.

Terry absolutely destroyed the guy. You could tell it hit home with him. Hung up on him with a "how dare you", then raged for another few minutes. Talked about how no one has any idea what its like in the clubhouse after something like that.  

I think that with how long skaggs was here, and how popular he was with his teammates, the team funk will last a lot longer. And everyone should remember that when they start playing again.

38 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Listening to the after show on the radio, back when Terry Smith would do it. Some guy called in and said it was sad, but that the Angels need to move past it, they cant play shitty going forward. "No excuses". Basically what the idiot who called in today said.

Terry absolutely destroyed the guy. You could tell it hit home with him. Hung up on him with a "how dare you", then raged for another few minutes. Talked about how no one has any idea what its like in the clubhouse after something like that.  

I think that with how long skaggs was here, and how popular he was with his teammates, the team funk will last a lot longer. And everyone should remember that when they start playing again.

I remember hearing this story before. Terry had to put up with a lot of inane comments back when Angel Talk was still a thing, but he always kept his composure. You'd have to be a professional a-hole and say something entirely insensitive and douchey to get Terry to respond in genuine anger.

11 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I remember hearing this story before. Terry had to put up with a lot of inane comments back when Angel Talk was still a thing, but he always kept his composure. You'd have to be a professional a-hole and say something entirely insensitive and douchey to get Terry to respond in genuine anger.

Yeah, he always kept his cool. Even when Mel would call in (!). Endless nights of silly trade ideas, this guy sucks, etc etc.

But then some idiot gets through who thinks sports are more important than they are, and Terry lost it. Rightly so.

It would be bad enough if your coworker told you to get over it. Coming from a fan, an outsider, is beyond ridiculous.

3 hours ago, popo85 said:

My family knows this pain, we just lost someone very close this past month at same age almost as Tyler . RIP

Yep, popo, I know how you feel as I just lost someone very dear to me unexpectedly last month as well. Sorry for your loss.  

So sorry for his family and loved ones. And of course for everyone in the organization. Only a year older than I- just really shocking and horrible. RIP Tyler:( I’m glad I said what’s up to you at Spring training 

31 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah, he always kept his cool. Even when Mel would call in (!). Endless nights of silly trade ideas, this guy sucks, etc etc.

But then some idiot gets through who thinks sports are more important than they are, and Terry lost it. Rightly so.

It would be bad enough if your coworker told you to get over it. Coming from a fan, an outsider, is beyond ridiculous.

Mel from Diamond Bar! I forgot about that guy. There was also Jeff from Whittier. 

1 minute ago, Glen said:

On MLB Radio's Roundup this was the absolute last thing they mentioned.

I was watching ESPN about 30 minutes after the news broke and it was Stephen A yelling hysterically about the Knicks for 45 minutes straight and not even a mention of it

4 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I was watching ESPN about 30 minutes after the news broke and it was Stephen A yelling hysterically about the Knicks for 45 minutes straight and not even a mention of it

On Sportscenter, they had it third behind Venus losing at Wimbledon and NBA free agency news. 

41 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Mel from Diamond Bar! I forgot about that guy. There was also Jeff from Whittier. 

37 minutes ago, calscuf said:

It was Dick from Whittier, if I’m not mistaken.

And I thought it was Mel from Fullerton 

This is such a tragedy, I'm still not believing this. You will be sadly missed Tyler. You will forever be an Angel. 45 👼

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I like Terry. Some say he's boring (which he may be at times). However, the guy represents the Angels' organization with absolute class day in and day out.

He has been one of the constants of this franchise over the past 20 years and I've grown to really appreciate him

3 hours ago, Ray McKigney said:

On Sportscenter, they had it third behind Venus losing at Wimbledon and NBA free agency news. 

I couldn't believe how insulting that was. If he'd been the long man out of the bullpen for the Yankees, or Red Sox, they would have spent the entire opening segment on him, and a long follow up later in the show.