AngelsWin.com

OC Register: Jake Marisnick suspended 2 games following collision with Angels’ Jonathan Lucroy

68 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

this is the one that I think shows how Lucroy starts shuffling his feet and reaches his glove toward the 3B line. I can see how Marisnick (who has a totally different view than any camera shows) may have read that as Lucroy getting ready to go that way. So he was going to Matrix and dive the other way (away from Lucroy’s glove side).

Still, what he should have done is just aim a little farther toward foul territory and if you end up being too far to touch the plate, then you can argue that Lucroy didn’t give you a lane. 

That, to me, is why it’s just a poor decision, and negligence, rather than being malicious. That’s why he got suspended for 2 games instead of 10 or 15.

You can be held responsible for something that’s an accident. Happens all the time with drivers. 

The top video: In which world was this "A very normal, direct, and unaltered path to home plate"? Not the one I live in.
The bottom video: Okay, now I see what you're referring to. I hadn't seen this before. This looks like an accident.

On a side note, why did the text turn green?

4 minutes ago, Fish Oil said:

The top video: In which world was this "A very normal, direct, and unaltered path to home plate"? Not the one I live in.
The bottom video: Okay, now I see what you're referring to. I hadn't seen this before. This looks like an accident.

On a side note, why did the text turn green?

Yeah, the bottom one is the one I am referring to. That seems to show what Marisnick said he saw. He said every time that he thought Lucroy was moving across the line. Obviously he didn’t, which is why there was a collision. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yeah, the bottom one is the one I am referring to. That seems to show what Marisnick said he saw. He said every time that he thought Lucroy was moving across the line. Obviously he didn’t, which is why there was a collision. 

Very well then. His big first step and his lowered shoulder tells me otherwise, but there is now room for doubt. Thank you for the perspective.

1 minute ago, Fish Oil said:

Very well then. His big first step and his lowered shoulder tells me otherwise, but there is now room for doubt. Thank you for the perspective.

He’s trying to slide head first. You have to lower your shoulders to that. Then he obviously turns his head because he’s about to face plant into Lucroy and doesn’t want to break his own neck. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He’s trying to slide head first. You have to lower your shoulders to that. Then he obviously turns his head because he’s about to face plant into Lucroy and doesn’t want to break his own neck. 

One must also lower their shoulder to knock the ball loose, no?

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Then he obviously turns his head because he’s about to face plant into Lucroy and doesn’t want to break his own neck. 

This is what I always assumed was the case.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It looks like he was trying to do a head first slide and touch the plate with his hand, but when he began to go down, Lucroy was still there, so there was no place to go but into him. 

That would mean Lucroy was already there. Why would he slide head first into Lucroy in fair territory?

Again, I'm not buying it. 

49 minutes ago, Lou said:

That would mean Lucroy was already there. Why would he slide head first into Lucroy in fair territory?

Again, I'm not buying it. 

He didn’t. He started to and then stopped. 

All this is happening in about 1 second. 

This is like saying, why did a hitter swing at a pitch in the dirt? 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ok, then why would he start to slide head first into Lucroy in fair territory? 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

Ok, then why would he start to slide head first into Lucroy in fair territory? 

Because he thought Lucroy was moving into foul territory with his glove and the ball also being in foul territory. It looks like he was going to dive to the 1B side of the plate and touch it with his right hand. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

Because he thought Lucroy was moving into foul territory with his glove and the ball also being in foul territory. It looks like he was going to dive to the 1B side of the plate and touch it with his right hand. 

Please show me where the glove and ball were ever in foul territory

The bottom video you showed raises some doubt, enough to justify only giving him a two game suspension, but I firmly believe that when he stepped into a direct collision path the intention was there.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Right after you show me where that pitch in the dirt was ever in the strike zone. 

Watch the video I posted earlier in the thread. 

This has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. 

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It looks like he was trying to do a head first slide and touch the plate with his hand, but when he began to go down, Lucroy was still there, so there was no place to go but into him. 

the back of the plate was wide open before he took a step toward 1B. Maybe I saw a different slide than you.

image.png

image.png

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He changed his direction away from his straight path to the plate, a clear violation of the current rule. If he would have slide toward the back of the plate he probably would have been safe. I am not buying the argument, he was planning on sliding toward the front of the plate, never have I seen anyone do that.

4 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

That video shows exactly what Marisnick had to do to make contact and that wasn't by mistake but intent. It's just too much lateral movement directly at Lucroy's shoulder of the arm he is catching the ball. I'm just unable to see that play as anything but targeting. 

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens come Monday in Anaheim...

They will play a baseball game. That's it. I believe he didn't intentionally try to hurt Lucroy and so does MLB. He even immediately went to check on Lucroy to see if he was okay. No grudges should be held from a mistake.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is like saying, why did a hitter swing at a pitch in the dirt? 

he altered his path to the plate which caused the collision. regardless of intent; a violation of the rule... It looked intentional to me, he couldn't have touched plate even if there would not have been a collision from the path he chose. he meant to make sure Lucroy didn't catch that ball.