Sign in to follow this  
tchula

David Fletcher is the most overlooked Angel ...

29 posts in this topic

Fletcher 35 games Leading off 23 runs scored

La Stella 38 games Leading off 26 runs scored

The two have nearly the same batting line except La Stella has a much higher slugging percentage. That is why La Stella was picked for the All Star game over Fletcher.

He went through a bit of a slump in June, but I think he's proving that that was truly a slump and not his norm. I love the way he plays the game, and I believe he'll be a staple of this team for many years to come.

I agree. Fletcher is an underrated player. I think he's the kind of player a team needs to have to make a run into the playoffs and I feel like we are going to be one of those teams in 2020/2021. 

His game is more suited to that of a middle infielder but I think he'll be our everyday 3B next year. He doesn't have the power numbers you hope for in a corner infielder but I think the Angels can make up for that with the addition of Jo Adell and an upgrade at catcher and the backup to 1B.

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

The two have nearly the same batting line except La Stella has a much higher slugging percentage. That is why La Stella was picked for the All Star game over Fletcher.

So your are saying he could be an All-Star?

Overlooked by whom? Not Angels fans, or at least those on this board. He is well appreciated.

But sure, Fletcher is the type of player that gets lost by non-fans. He's going to hit around .300, but with no power and only modest speed. He's a 4 fWAR player, which is in that in-between zone between solid regulars and true stars.

7 hours ago, RBM said:

I agree. Fletcher is an underrated player. I think he's the kind of player a team needs to have to make a run into the playoffs and I feel like we are going to be one of those teams in 2020/2021. 

His game is more suited to that of a middle infielder but I think he'll be our everyday 3B next year. He doesn't have the power numbers you hope for in a corner infielder but I think the Angels can make up for that with the addition of Jo Adell and an upgrade at catcher and the backup to 1B.

A less power version of Terry Pendleton?

31 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

A less power version of Terry Pendleton?

Kind of but Pendleton always seemed like a fixture at 3B. Fletcher feels more like a Chone Figgins to me.

10 hours ago, Blarg said:

There is no doubt La Stella has been awesome.  But unfortunately, he's out for a while.  I thought his all-star bid was well deserved, but Fletcher didn't even make a blip in the voting.  Admittedly, though, I was curious to see if La Stella would continue his same level of production in the second half of the season.  

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

The only Angels lineup that would make me happy:

CF Finley

1B Pujols

RF Hamilton

LF Wells

DH Hillenbrand

3B Valbuena

2B Espinosa

SS Wood

C Mathis

Put Willits in CF instead of Finley and I'm in.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The only Angels lineup that would make me happy:

CF Finley

1B Pujols

RF Hamilton

LF Wells

DH Hillenbrand

3B Valbuena

2B Espinosa

SS Wood

C Mathis

I'd opt for Gary Mathews Jr. over Finley 😛