Sign in to follow this  
Lou

Kevan Smith

28 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Lou said:

Now batting .299 with an OPS of .857

Claimed off waivers from the CWS.

Thanks, Eppy!

Love his approach. He’s wearing off on Albert. About time he listened to somebody. 

12 minutes ago, Lou said:

Thanks, Eppy!

even though there were a couple of WPs tonight, he had a couple of really crucial blocks as well.  

still can't figure out what the Angels are trying to do with sequencing this year after yet another 0-2 hr.  

back to Smith though.  He's a really solid backup/platoon guy.  Could also be a guy to spend some time at 1b.  

Yeah, he's in the win column for Eppler. Like his demeanor also. When you have a guy like him in the clubhouse, a humble NCAA QB, I think it helps.

9 hours ago, IIIII said:

He is pretty garbage defensively but his offense more than makes up for it. Great add!

I'm not sure I'd put Smith's defense in the "garbage" category.  Last night, Canning's pitches were atrocious, and Anderson didn't do him any favors either with some of his 46 foot breaking balls.  I'd tend to agree more with what Doc said.  He made some crucial blocks on balls that prevented further damage.  On top of that, he came through with a few clutch hits and a sacrifice fly.

He's by no means a Molina type catcher, but I truly think he frames pitches much better than Lucroy does and at this point, he's better at making contact.  Of course, it's a much smaller sample size, but I think he's a pretty capable back up catcher

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Next season, bring Machete back.    Machete and Smith could make a decent to solid enough 1-2 platoon.

Grandal is the perfect platoon partner.  

Cole and Grandal is all I ask for the 2020 off season.  that's all.  Oh, and one more good pen arm.  And maybe one more starter.  Someone for the top of the rotation.  But nothing else. Just four measly players.  

Back in the late 90’s during my first adventure in the Middle East, softball was a big thing among the expats. One year I didn’t have a team to play with so I umpired at the tournament in Dubai. The catcher for one of the women’s teams was a tiny Malaysian lady who had to play so they could field a full team. Her technique was to let each pitch that landed unhit roll to the backstop. Then she’d go get the ball, walk a few steps in front of the plate and fire a rainbow that may or may not make it all the way back to the pitcher. I bring this up because the Angels catchers this season remind me of her in just about every game I watch 

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Cole and Grandal is all I ask for the 2020 off season.  that's all.  Oh, and one more good pen arm.  And maybe one more starter.  Someone for the top of the rotation.  But nothing else. Just four measly players.  

:)   I'm elated if they can sign Cole, Grandal, and a solid reliever to join Undertaker, Buttrey, Middleton, and Anderson.

Seriously though, will Arte consider going over the budget for maybe just 2020 and 2021?    Then once Kole has either been traded next season or allowed to walk, and Cozart's contract is up, that combined with freeing Harvey's, Cahill's, Allen's, and Bour's contracts after this season gives them what, some $60 million cleared from payroll between now and close of 2020?    Then even if Simba is re-signed, they free up Pujols' money after 2021.    Then once Ohtani's FA approaches, Grandal's money is freed up.

If it goes well with those off-season FA signings, there would be no more need for major FA signings until at least 6 years down the road?    

20 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Do you think Grandal will be available? He has a $16 M mutual option for 2020.

32 minutes ago, RBM said:

Do you think Grandal will be available? He has a $16 M mutual option for 2020.

I think he'll absolutely become a FA.  He'll probably get 3/45-60.  I think I'd be ok with even the high end of that.  I think his bat is going to play into his mid 30's because it's not dependent on his avg.  Give me a 760 to 820 ops for 3 years and I'd be happy as long as he spends a bit more than half his time behind the plate.  I know that seems like a lot for a 30+ yo C and I normally wouldn't be inclined to be ok with that but for whatever reason, I think he's going to be a useful player for awhile.  

12 hours ago, Lou said:

Thanks, Eppy!

He is a lefty-killer which is why I think Eppler will find and stick with a platoon partner that can handle righties well moving forward in the future.

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think he'll absolutely become a FA.  He'll probably get 3/45-60.  I think I'd be ok with even the high end of that.  I think his bat is going to play into his mid 30's because it's not dependent on his avg.  Give me a 760 to 820 ops for 3 years and I'd be happy as long as he spends a bit more than half his time behind the plate.  I know that seems like a lot for a 30+ yo C and I normally wouldn't be inclined to be ok with that but for whatever reason, I think he's going to be a useful player for awhile.  

Got it. I don't think they are going to pick up the Calhoun option so that helps Eppler to find room for Cole and Grandal. What an opening day lineup!

P: Cole

C: Grandal

1B: Pujols

2B: Rengifo/La Stella

3B: Fletcher

SS: Simmons

LF: Upton

CF: Trout

RF: Adell

DH: Ohtani

3 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

I'm not sure I'd put Smith's defense in the "garbage" category.  Last night, Canning's pitches were atrocious, and Anderson didn't do him any favors either with some of his 46 foot breaking balls.  I'd tend to agree more with what Doc said.  He made some crucial blocks on balls that prevented further damage.  On top of that, he came through with a few clutch hits and a sacrifice fly.

He's by no means a Molina type catcher, but I truly think he frames pitches much better than Lucroy does and at this point, he's better at making contact.  Of course, it's a much smaller sample size, but I think he's a pretty capable back up catcher

Hitting wise he is our best option but the Astros broadcast went into detail about mistakes he was making behind the plate so it’s hard to say he is anything but a below average defensive catcher. Like I said, his hitting has been so good that it doesn’t really matter and I pretty much want him or Dustin playing every day over Lucroy.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

If we sign all those guys, imagine how much parking will go up.