Sign in to follow this  
UndertheHalo

What is Kole Calhoun actually worth this trade deadline ?

89 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A lot of talk around here about possibly trading Kole.  He is one of the tradable assets given the Angels outfield situation.  If they keep him around beyond this year they’ll have to pick up a 14 million dollar option and potentially delay Jo Adell taking his place full time in the outfield.  There are arguments worth considering for keeping him around.  A bit of an insurance policy against a rough start for Adell.  His club house presence.  The defense.  All of that is something.  

I just have trouble getting an idea for what he would be worth.  I tend to think not a lot.  So, what do some of you guys think he’s worth ?? Is he worth casting off for whatever that might be ?

uhh.  Discuss.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

The only answer you are likely to get is "whatever someone else is willing to pay".  Which is of course right but is also a bit of a copout based on the question :)
I think there are teams, in a playoff race, in need of OF help that could 100% benefit from him. Cle, SF, etc... .  Based on that he should have value.  How much will depend entirely on stuff we dont know right now.

His average is low; his OBP is okay, but not exceptional.

His home run totals are very solid, and you definitely might get someone interested in that. 

His defense is not rated well this year, but I couldn’t tell you why. Based on assumption that’s a fluke or on a team’s proprietary data, you might get someone willing to move a decent asset if you can convince them his power is legit, the defense fall-off isn’t, and his OBP is good enough. 

As far as what that’s worth, I have no ability to assess that. 

Better question is which teams actually have a need for him? 
Yankees have Judge, Frazier, Stanton, Hicks...
Won't deal with the Astros, Athletics, or Rangers, given that we're fighting them. 
Probably wouldn't deal with Tampa, Minnesota, Cleveland, or Boston for the same reason.

Dodgers? Bellinger, Verdugo, Pederson, Pollock
Braves? Riley, Acuna, Markakis...Matt Facking Joyce has an .848 OPS for them, and they just got Enciate back as depth.
Nationals have Soto, Robles, and Eaton.
Cubs? They could move Heyward to CF instead of Almora...
Phillies already have a similar hitting RF in Harper. Bruce's injury opens up LF but they need pitching much more than more offense.
Cardinals have Jose Martinez/Dexter Fowler/Tyler O'Neill. 
Milwaukee is set, Braun, Cain, and Yelich. Yelich could play CF, but I don't think it'd be wise to risk messing with a good thing.
Giants have a need, but they really shouldn't be buying, and don't have much to offer.
Arizona has Peralta, Marte, and Jones. 

I don't expect the offers to be very good.

Unless a playoff team loses their RF or something similar, then maybe...

My guess is that if the Angels did opt to trade him now, he'd still have that option for next year, which makes him more valuable. 

Of all the suitors, the Indians appear to be the most obvious target.

I'm guessing it would probably be something like Kole Calhoun for Aaron Civale.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

My guess is that if the Angels did opt to trade him now, he'd still have that option for next year, which makes him more valuable. 

Of all the suitors, the Indians appear to be the most obvious target.

Feels realistic. 

18 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Civale apparently has some kind of shoulder issue.

Is Goodwin with us next year or is he just on a one year dealio with us? 

You have to let Calhoun walk as that 14 million can go toward a much needed arm next year who we need to pair up at the top of the rotation with Ohtani. 

I would love for the Angels to get two FA's or one via a trade. Canning and Heaney should be our #4 and #5 guys respectively if we want a chance to be successful next season. 

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I was curious so I texted a few execs from other teams (that wouldn’t be interested in him, so they’re theoretically unbiased).

One said the Angels might get a mid level prospect. Another said he didn’t think there’d be much market for him because most teams want pitching.

I also heard that he’d be viewed as a rental because of his age and option number for next year. 

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident Kole will be here on Aug 1. 

As for opening day next year? Not as sure but my guess would be no. 

Yeah, given how this year has gone, I doubt they’d get much for him, and I don’t think other teams are likely to view the option year as advantageous given the price tag ($14mil is at best equal to his value at present). I really don’t think the Angel will pick up his option, both because he probably isn’t worth it and because they need the money for pitching, which means that unless they decline his option and bring him back on the cheap (unlikely unless they don’t think Adell will be ready for at least half of next season), he’s gone after this year. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Is Goodwin with us next year or is he just on a one year dealio with us? 

You have to let Calhoun walk as that 14 million can go toward a much needed arm next year who we need to pair up at the top of the rotation with Ohtani. 

I would love for the Angels to get two FA's or one via a trade. Canning and Heaney should be our #4 and #5 guys respectively if we want a chance to be successful next season. 

Per spotrac, Goodwin still has 3 arbitration years. 

3 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Per spotrac, Goodwin still has 3 arbitration years. 

He's a good stop gap guy until Jo Adell is ready, which could be out of spring training 2020 if he hits the way he did this last ST and finishes his '19 campaign strong. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sherlock31 said:

Can we buy him out and re-sign him for a lesser deal?

He is going to test the FA market, likely to get more than what the Angels would be willing to pay.

Edited by Slegnaac

42 minutes ago, Sherlock31 said:

Can we buy him out and re-sign him for a lesser deal?

Can? Sure. Will? Doubtful. If the Angels see Adell as imminent (he's struggled a bit lately), its unlikely they offer Kole much, especially since they've got other guys who can fill in for pennies on the dollar. 

Even if they think Adell isn't ready in 2019, I don't see them bringing back Calhoun at $14mil.