Dick Enberg

Jo Adell to AAA Salt lake

160 posts in this topic

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think if they dont exercise the offer, he becomes an unrestricted FA. But I could be wrong.

Right.  So how does the qualifying offer factor in at all?

24 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Right.  So how does the qualifying offer factor in at all?

Again, I could be wrong, but I dont think there needs to be a qual offer. I think a qual offer is for an already a pending FA, where for Calhoun, the team already has an option. They can exercise it, and Calhoun has to honor it. But if they dont, hes free to sign wherever. 

42 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Again, I could be wrong, but I dont think there needs to be a qual offer. I think a qual offer is for an already a pending FA, where for Calhoun, the team already has an option. They can exercise it, and Calhoun has to honor it. But if they dont, hes free to sign wherever. 

But you're the one who mentioned the qualifying offer?  That's why I'm confused...

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

But you're the one who mentioned the qualifying offer?  That's why I'm confused...

Sorry, that was my dumbass typing faster than my brain works. What i meant was less that the option is. So if say Calhoun is good with 5 mill vs the 14 mill offer, i can see the angels keeping him. But i doubt he would do that

Calhoun won’t get $14 M/year in FA. So why would Eppler pick up his option?

Thanks Kole. Hope you find a 2 year deal somewhere out there this Winter. 

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Calhoun won’t get $14 M/year in FA. So why would Eppler pick up his option?

Thanks Kole. Hope you find a 2 year deal somewhere out there this Winter. 

Calhoun will most likely sign somewhere for more than $14 mil total

53 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Not for 1 year. 

1 minute ago, RBM said:

Not for 1 year. 

That doesn’t mean the Angels would value him the same though. He might not get $14m on the open market on one year, but if Adell isn’t ready, the Angels will still have to replace an .800 OPS/GG defense RF if they decline him for their lineup for 2020, and that cost might not be that different. 

And no, I don’t think Goodwin fits the bill. Adell should but his performance the last six weeks is enough to cause some hesitation. 

If I knew the Angels freed up money plus Calhoun’s option being declined would shake loose enough money to revamp the pitching staff into a 2020 contender, I’d feel differently and agree that it’s a no doubter, but I’m not *yet* convinced they’ll hand over RF to Adell on Opening Day, nor count on Goodwin, and even signing two legit arms might not be enough to help the staff. I still think they might try to sign scold, develop the kids arms, and hope to mash to contention for 2020.

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He might not get $14m on the open market on one year, but if Adell isn’t ready, the Angels will still have to replace an .800 OPS/GG defense RF if they decline him for their lineup for 2020, and that cost might not be that different

Calhoun has never finished with an .800 OPS in his 5 years as a regular. His career OPS is .746. The league average OPS is .759. I’m certain it’s higher for RFers  

He is not coming back. The money will be used on SP’s

3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Calhoun has never finished with an .800 OPS in his 5 years as a regular. 

He is not coming back. The money will be used on SP’s

He’s at an .800 OPS over his last 838 PA. 

We’ll see if they spend. I think Cole will no doubt be a target but I’m not convinced they’ll clog up the rotation with mid-tier arms of they miss out, or turn to multiple 1-yr deals given how poorly Cahill and Harvey wound up. It’ll be an interesting offseason.

There is no chance they exercise Kole's option.  He might be back but it would be on a deal for about half the amount at most.  Personally, I think he ends up getting 1/6 or less.  And I think that's a bit unfortunate actually.  

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

There is no chance they exercise Kole's option.  He might be back but it would be on a deal for about half the amount at most.  Personally, I think he ends up getting 1/6 or less.  And I think that's a bit unfortunate actually.  

They paid Matsui 1/6 in 2010. He’s not going to take that deal. 

12 hours ago, RBM said:

Not for 1 year. 

Not for one year, but the point is that any team who signs him is likely to have to make a longer commitment to Kole for more total money than the Angels have to. One year deals are almost always for more AAV than longer ones.

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

He very well may not, but Matsuis deal has zero to do with it. Whats the relevance of Matsuis deal at all here?

That Matsui was basically just a DH and that money was paid 9 years ago. Kole is a streaky hitter with pop that is also a terrific defensive RF’r. 

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think it's extremely, extremely unlikely, but I don't think it's at a "no chance" level. And I do agree that more likely would be they decline his option, but still explore signing him - perhaps to a two-year deal at a lesser rate - if there's heavy interest from him in being in Anaheim and he's open to a undefined role. 

It's not so much that I doubt Adell's MLB-readiness or Goodwin's stopgap ability, or that I'm enthused with Kole's production. 

My leading belief for a Calhoun '20 possibility exists is that, while the Angels need a lot of pitching, Eppler will not want to go a route that clogs up payroll with middling arms, and that Calhoun's 1/$14m ultimately won't prevent them from 1) pursuing Cole and 2) opting for cheap Miley/Gio fliers. 
Eppler will see the Angels best route for '20 contention coming from a very good offense, growth from the kids in the box and on the mound, and some luck on cheap 1-yr vet SPs, hopefully led by Cole and Ohtani, rather than signing a couple of Odorizzi/Wheeler types to contracts that muddy things up, becoming the next Cozart/Calhoun commitment. 

And even then, I acknowledge a lot of other things have to happen...1) the rookie SPs have to produce this year 2) Calhoun has to keep hitting and be open to a limited/1B/4th OF role, 3) Arte has to be willing to fudge the budget for one year, akin to Allen, to have both Cole and Kole, 4) none of the kids take off hitting down the stretch, including Adell at AAA. It would take a perfect storm for this scenario to come into play.

3 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Kole is a streaky hitter with pop that is also a terrific defensive RF’r.

Kole hasn't really been streaky since his reboot....his production this season has mirrored last summer's reboot very, very closely. There's some aberration if you strictly break his season into monthly numbers, but that's sort of an arbitrary starting point. 

He's been a consistent .230/.330/.470/.800 guy since last June, over ~840 plate appearances.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Hard to say the way the market has been in the last couple of years...   

I can maybe see two years for 14 as the high-water mark..   Last years FA signings/$$$$$ https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2019/

There were only two multi-year contracts given out to RFers last year -- Cutch and Harper.

Edited by Inside Pitch

30 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Not for one year, but the point is that any team who signs him is likely to have to make a longer commitment to Kole for more total money than the Angels have to. One year deals are almost always for more AAV than longer ones.

The point is he may not even get a 2 year deal. Only 5 OF FA’s got multi year deals last year - Harper, Brantley, Pollack, McCutchen, Gonzalez. 

Kole may end up getting something similar to Nick Markakis - 1/4 with a 1/6 option or a $2 M buyout. Essentially a 1/4 or 2/10. Maybe he gets 2/14 but it won’t be with us  

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I can maybe see two years for 14 as the high-water mark..   Last years FA signings/$$$$$ https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2019/

There were only two multi-year contracts given out to RFers last year -- Cutch and Harper.

Was sending my response when you sent this. Looks like we’re on the same page. 

Just now, RBM said:

Was sending my response when you sent this. Looks like we’re on the same page. 

Given what Markakis got...  A 2 year deal may take some really good agent work...

Avisail, Jay, a lot guys that took chump change last year will be back in the free agent pool this year as well as Marcell Ozuna, Brett Gardner, Corey Dickerson, Puig Castellanos, and potentially Adam Eaton if the Nats cut him loose...

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

Kole should have been traded for mid level prospects 3 weeks ago 

I don't think I would have traded him for a mid-level prospect if you define that as somebody with upside but still not likely to make an impact at the big league level...maybe for an upper tier mid level guy (whatever that means).....

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

It is crazy how the market has adjusted. Calhoun could easily finish as a 3 war RF this year.