Sign in to follow this  
Dochalo

The age of our rotation

137 posts in this topic

I would never look it up, but this seemed obvious to me. I have no issues with growing pains of young kids. It’s when vets like Harvey and Cahill eat shit that you cut ties like the team did. 

Hopefully the kids continue to grow.

And as a result it might take them a year or so (2020) to really acclimate. We need another couple guys like Madero, Beasley, Wantz, and Ortega to get on the cusp as well to stave off the injury concerns.

Soriano and Yan might be ready for a taste in 2021 too. 

If the Angels do sign Cole or a legit frontline arm, wouldn’t mind seeing them try to sign Hamels for a one-year pact to help out too. Break the bank for one season. It’d parallel their pursuit of Sabathia in recent offseasons too. 

Holy crap @Dochalo !!!

I had no idea. Without Allard being promoted last week, the Angels have the first, second, third and fourth youngest starting pitchers in all of baseball.

But to be fair, this isn't a bad thing. Barria, Suarez, Sandoval and Canning all have bright futures in the major leagues. Barria, Suarez and Sandoval as a mid to back end starters and Canning as a mid to front of the rotation starter.

Last time I checked, half of the Angels' pitching staff is made up of 1 inning guys, and half is made up of 4 inning guys (if we're lucky). Having a rotation would be nice, but we don't get to have nice things.

17 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

In other words, the Angels cannot rely on any of those guys to be MLB ready 7 months from now. They’re going to need to sign an ace and find 3 other MLB caliber SPs by March of next year. 

that's the opposite of what they need to do.  

whether you like it or not, these kids need time to develop and get better.  They need to keep financial flexibility.  

Or they could trade a couple of them for an established starter.  Which could accelerate the timeline for winning.  I hope they keep Canning of the four and I am sure they will.  

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Tbf, being young and in the majors doesn't mean they'll be good. Canning will rebound and be fine but the other three are back end starters at best. Hell, Stassi made the majors when he was 22 too

Being young in the majors does mean you are good. Performing well depends on more than just being good.

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that's the opposite of what they need to do.  

whether you like it or not, these kids need time to develop and get better.  They need to keep financial flexibility.  

Or they could trade a couple of them for an established starter.  Which could accelerate the timeline for winning.  I hope they keep Canning of the four and I am sure they will.  

Racist.  

Actually I would like to keep all 4.  Would really help with flexibility.  

9 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Being young in the majors does mean you are good. Performing well depends on more than just being good.

it also doesn't mean that they're what they're going to be.  And frankly, all of them have shown some promise.  No one is expecting them to be #1 starters, but depth and mid to back end starter for league min is super important.  

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I doubt anyone thanks we're going to have a rock solid rotation next year, so to have one in his age 30 season is the best case scenario.

Wrong.

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

I doubt anyone who's sober thinks we're going to have a rock solid rotation next year, so to have one in his age 30 season is the best case scenario.

We've literally been talking about it since Skaggs passed away.

Ohtani + someone like Cole + another starter to replace Skaggs = "Rock solid rotation"