Sign in to follow this  
Dochalo

The age of our rotation

137 posts in this topic

This conversation is the baseball equivalent of "check's in the mail."  We have youth in the rotation so everything's gonna be good someday.  And that may be correct.

But I'm sorta feeling like the landlord right now.

With Skaggs, they still needed a FA Ace to make this pitching staff competitive for 2020 when Ohtani returns. Without Skaggs, they need two guys.

I know Barria is in a 2nd season slump. Canning, Suarez, Sandoval are rookies. Ohtani will only be in his 2nd pitching season.

I'd think they're going to go to 6 starters again, with Ohtani.

Cole, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval is an ok rotation, but adding one more mid tier guy helps significantly.

Also, remember, this year is on pace to be the worst pitching output from the Angels since 2000, and has a chance to top that one too. It's going to be the 3rd or 4th worst pitching season in Angels History.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Also, remember, this year is on pace to be the worst pitching output from the Angels since 2000, and has a chance to top that one too. It's going to be the 3rd or 4th worst pitching season in Angels History.

But they're young bro. 

Just now, NrM said:

But they're young bro. 

normally I don't give a squat about who and what people click on in terms of reactions.  But you chose to go with 'trolling' which I find absurd.  

5 hours ago, MacNasty said:

This conversation is the baseball equivalent of "check's in the mail."  We have youth in the rotation so everything's gonna be good someday.  And that may be correct.

But I'm sorta feeling like the landlord right now.

no one is claiming that we're set for the next 6 years. But that they're not the finished product and at least a couple of them will likely solidify rotation spots going forward while being better than we've seen over the last couple months.  

It likely means that we don't need an entire rotation but maybe 2 guys in addition to Ohtani.  

And the check is always in the mail as it relates to baseball.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

normally I don't give a squat about who and what people click on in terms of reactions.  But you chose to go with 'trolling' which I find absurd.  

Maybe this will make it easier to understand, he’s a twat.  

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Bumgarner and Cole are my two picks.

Bumgarner struggled some through June 25.   Since then, 2.78 ERA and 0.90 WHIP, only 4 HRs allowed in 55 innings

Only age 30 for most of 2020 and currently almost 1900 career MLB innings, so how long of a deal would Arte be willing to give him, given his past big game pitching?  

4 years/$70 million?  

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Bumgarner struggled some through June 25.   Since then, 2.78 ERA and 0.90 WHIP, only 4 HRs allowed in 55 innings

Only age 30 for most of 2020 and currently almost 1900 career MLB innings, so how long of a deal would Arte be willing to give him, given his past big game pitching?  

4 years/$70 million?  

Cole must be target number one.  I'd stay away from Bumgarner.  I'd prefer target number two being Jake Ordorizzi or Zack Wheeler.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

no one is claiming that we're set for the next 6 years. But that they're not the finished product and at least a couple of them will likely solidify rotation spots going forward while being better than we've seen over the last couple months.  

It likely means that we don't need an entire rotation but maybe 2 guys in addition to Ohtani.  

And the check is always in the mail as it relates to baseball.  

I'm tired of pitching coming up short.  So If I were the guy reporting to the boss on the product I'd go way beyond tinkering with a couple additions to ensure we're good and by God we might suck the next year but it wouldn't be from pitching.

I'd load a few new arms at a minimum who pitch to contact who can utilize our solid defense and ensure we can log innings.  And a big name FA on top of that to head up the rotation.

7 hours ago, Hubs said:

Something to remember here. 2002...

I know thats gonna piss some people off.

But if you compare the late 90s teams to the current one, there are some similarities. Meaning the offense core is in place. The bullpen is steady. 

Obviously there are differences. But 2001 was brutal. Then we added Aaron Sele and Kevin Appier... not exactly huge moves. Especially when Oakland had the Big 3.

Things suck today, but its trending positive. Adding 2 arms this offseason should make this a totally different team next year 

7 hours ago, Hubs said:

With Skaggs, they still needed a FA Ace to make this pitching staff competitive for 2020 when Ohtani returns. Without Skaggs, they need two guys.

I know Barria is in a 2nd season slump. Canning, Suarez, Sandoval are rookies. Ohtani will only be in his 2nd pitching season.

I'd think they're going to go to 6 starters again, with Ohtani.

Cole, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval is an ok rotation, but adding one more mid tier guy helps significantly.

I don't know if Barria is just in a 2nd season slump.  I don't know if he is even gonna stick as a 5/6

They are definitely going with six starters....   well... Ohtani is pitching every sixth day, at most.     Roster shenanigans will continue.

Just now, Dochalo said:

I'll take it.  

Although Canning is going to be better than avg.  

Agreed.  I'll take any of the other three being average.   You need average.   Even better if it is inexpensive.  

11 minutes ago, MacNasty said:

I'm tired of pitching coming up short.  

EVERYBODY IS.

But the biggest reason it has has mainly been out of the teams hands. At most, you can critique the fact we havent drafted and developed arms. Thats a fair critique. (Though to be fair, some on here clamoring for trades, also dug on Vinnie Pestano...)

But unless someone can pinpoint that the SPs (and middleton) have been used dangerously, making their arms blow up (twice for Richards), then this isnt truly the fault of the org. Anymore than Skaggs dying is.