Erstad Grit

Comparing player A and player B

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I think reading the market is what I want my agent to do....Waiting obviously worked for Harper and Machado but they were the elite guys last year and anybody could have read that....it didn't work with Moose or Keuchel or Machete....If I'm not an elite guy, I want an agent that reads the market and tells me the truth... You are right that the player ultimately makes the decision but I tend to think that Boras pushes all his clients to wait and squeeze every last dollar out there...it's just his thing...I don't think it is a coincidence that his guys get caught waiting too long....But, that is just my thought.....I would put more weight on what @Jeff Fletcher says....

I agree with you. Cole can probably play the Boras waiting game but others may see it hurt them. Moustakas is the best example of this. I wonder why he didn’t get rid of Boras.  

the picks attached to those guys at the time were an issue for a team without a crappy farm system.  my guess is that either Moose or Grandal wouldn't have been major difference makers in terms of whether we'd have been playoff or WC bound.  Having said that, the Cozart signing has really sucked.  One might argue that he could have been serviceable had he not gotten injured, but I kinda doubt it.  

2 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Cozart had a career year with the bat at 32 in his contract year.  Anyone should’ve seen that he wasn’t going to hit like that again.  

Yep. Every time a guy breaks out, he trails off the next year. Adjustments are never for real. 

Seriously. You aren’t actually so lacking in self-awareness to see what a ridiculous post you just made, are you? 

34 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Yep. Every time a guy breaks out, he trails off the next year. Adjustments are never for real. 

Seriously. You aren’t actually so lacking in self-awareness to see what a ridiculous post you just made, are you? 

Yeah, guys just suddenly learn to hit at 32 all the time.

11 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Yeah, guys just suddenly learn to hit at 32 all the time.

Adjustments can happen at any age. At 32, a player isn’t going to physically improve, but mechanically? Sure. No reason they can’t. 

19 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Adjustments can happen at any age. At 32, a player isn’t going to physically improve, but mechanically? Sure. No reason they can’t. 

Sure, there’s exceptions, and the smart thing to do would be give a one or MAYBE two year deal to see if it’s sustainable.  Not 3.

31 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Sure, there’s exceptions, and the smart thing to do would be give a one or MAYBE two year deal to see if it’s sustainable.  Not 3.

Fair. Unless the market dictated needing to add that year. Either way, on paper Cozart looked like a better option than Moose given the expected cost for both.