Sign in to follow this  
mymerlincat

Angels call up Miguel Del Pozo, send Suarez down

49 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Kind of makes sense. It didn't seem like Suarez was showing any kind of improvement. He definitely needs another year on the farm.

The problem is we don’t have a ton of options, particularly past the trade deadline....but even without other good options, you have to worry about a young guy’s confidence, getting hammered every time out...Barria was awful at SLC the other night so he may be off the board for awhile too....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DMVol said:

The problem is we don’t have a ton of options, particularly past the trade deadline....but even without other good options, you have to worry about a young guy’s confidence, getting hammered every time out...Barria was awful at SLC the other night so he may be off the board for awhile too....

Barria has been pretty awful with the Angels also. He had 5 straight turns in the rotation from July 19 to August 9 and his ERA was 8.46. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Barria has been pretty awful with the Angels also. He had 5 straight turns in the rotation from July 19 to August 9 and his ERA was 8.46. 

I really thought he would be a solid back of the rotation type after last year....smarter guys than me said he couldn’t sustain it...I was wrong, as usual....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I really thought he would be a solid back of the rotation type after last year....smart guys than me said he couldn’t sustain it...I was wrong, as usual....

Yeah, I was also. I was hoping he’d build on last year. He’s still young and can bounce back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Barria is somewhere between last years numbers and this years numbers.  My guess is a guy who can give you about a 4.75 ERA over the course of a season.  

raw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Barria is somewhere between last years numbers and this years numbers.  My guess is a guy who can give you about a 4.75 ERA over the course of a season.  

His numbers are a bit inflated from those two shellings he endured, one 10 ER game and one 7 ER game.

His ERA since June, minus the 10 ER game, is 2.67 in some 33 innings or so.

The opener seemed to throw him off. And for Suarez, Canning, and Barria, they’re still going through what most young SPs deal with, getting stung by the HR ball facing the best hitters they’ve ever seen. That’ll improve with experience. Lots of encouraging peripherals from them all.

Edited by totdprods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, totdprods said:

His numbers are a bit inflated from those two shellings he endured, one 10 ER game and one 7 ER game.

His ERA since June, minus the 10 ER game, is 2.67 in some 33 innings or so.

“You are what your record says you are.”

— Bill Parcells

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

“You are what your record says you are.”

— Bill Parcells

Except it’s not. The number of injuries means they have to leave these guys out there well beyond the point where they would’ve been of everyone was healthy. 

Barria has a whopping 51.2 IP this year. - he’s given up 17 runs in 5.1 of those. 28.69 ERA in those two games.

In the other 46.1 IP, 21 ER, for a 4.08 ERA.

He allowed nearly half of his ER in 10% of his IP. That will skew things.

It just reiterates how critical sample sizes can affect a number, ERA, that shouldn’t really be a good indicator of ones talent. A healthy pitching staff with fresh arms, and he wouldn’t have been beat so hard or used so bizarrely. 

Edited by totdprods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing encouraging about Barria is he’s increased his K rate a good bit and cut back on walks. He’s just been too hittable and prone to walks. Seems like he’s getting a bit too much of the plate avoiding walks and pounding the zone, perhaps a bit too much, but it’s a step in the right direction. He just needs to learn to balance that a bit more. 

Suarez is pretty similar in that regard. A lot of strikeouts, decent walk rate for a rookie that young, but getting stung by the HR ball and catching too much of the plate. 

Canning is definitely further ahead - once he learns to avoid mistakes and keep a few more in the park he’ll be cruising. Sandoval has looked much further along than I expected too.

Really encouraging stuff from all four so far this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options