Sign in to follow this  
Taylor

L.A. Times Skaggs illustration: Tasteless?

107 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

The "blind eye" guy is purposely non-descript.  He isn't wearing an Angels hat.

If nothing else, I think we can all agree that society in general has taken a blind eye to this kind of substance abuse.  Can we not?

He might be, but the others are not.
I think we have taken a blind eye to many things, substance abuse, mental illness, homelessness among them but yes, i agree on that point. 
Its sad to me that the moment they said they were delaying the results, we all knew what was coming... we know, we just dont want to know. 

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

If nothing else, I think we can all agree that society in general has taken a blind eye to this kind of substance abuse.  Can we not?

The responsible everyday Joe who gets up to go to work each day to make a living to pay his bills and to feed his family doesn’t have time to worry about some irresponsible athlete. There’s a huge market for illegal drugs. Why? Because there are a lot of available customers. Tyler Skaggs death was tragic but it won’t move the MLB needle because it’s a single occurrence. They’re still racing and training horses at Santa Anita. Everyone will get past this when Arte brings in some new horses. 

A1B3D22E-77BE-4A95-97FF-1EB7675D0209.jpeg

Edited by Calzone 2

I believe in free speech most definitely but this is just irresponsible.  At least have the balls to write a scathing article instead! Speculation is now all over the place and that is not helping, only hurting the situation, the team, and Tyler's family.

48 minutes ago, Palomar said:

I believe in free speech most definitely but this is just irresponsible.  At least have the balls to write a scathing article instead! Speculation is now all over the place and that is not helping, only hurting the situation, the team, and Tyler's family.

What is the speculating part of that cartoon?

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

He's holding an Angel hat. The implication is that he took it off to clearly reveal that he's wearing a blindfold.

36 minutes ago, Taylor said:

He's holding an Angel hat. The implication is that he took it off to clearly reveal that he's wearing a blindfold.

I think he has his Halloween costumes all picked out. 

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

What is the speculating part of that cartoon?

Speculation that Angel players and/or the organization has some direct kind of culpability in Tyler's death.  It's like everyone is suspect or responsible in the organization according to the cartoon.  There may be someone in the organization who knew Tyler was taking pain pills but ultimately Tyler made the decision he did to mix with alcohol.

46 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Speculation that Angel players and/or the organization has some direct kind of culpability in Tyler's death. 

You mean what the Skaggs family is asserting?

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

You mean what the Skaggs family is asserting?

I believe the Skaggs family said that an employee could be involved and it was being investigated.  The cartoon makes it seem like the whole organization is part of a coverup, players and management. 

11 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

It's not tasteless. It is a social commentary by a cartoonist that appeared over a column of readers' opinions. Some truths are harsh to confront.

If there's a tragedy and you can't slap a patch or a hashtag on it, the majority around here aren't interested.

How about just the reality that there are not nearly enough established FACTS on the incident to even attempt any kind of social or political statement?

It is tasteless and reckless and completely unprofessional simply because the clown that drew that cartoon has no Facking idea what actually happened.

I am perfectly fine with holding people accountable once the facts are known.

The cartoon is stupid.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:03 AM, Baghdad Strad said:

@Jeff Fletcher what are your thoughts on this journalistically?

From just the picture (I did not read the article), this is bad journalism. There are too many presuppositions inherent in it that may not be true and if not can damage a person or organizations reputation. Obviously, did the Angels know about his abuse problem? Did they know that he was mixing opioids with alcohol? Was a physician monitoring his use? This picture assumes all of these situations existed but no one cared.  

9 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

From just the picture (I did not read the article), this is bad journalism.

Jesus H Christo, fellas - its an editorial cartoon that appears in the sports letters to the editors of the LA Times.  This happens every saturday.  Since we've all been alive (except for Bruce and AO).

This doesn't ring a bell with any of you?  Get out of your bubble, for pete's sake.

And whatever you do, DO NOT READ THE LETTERS TO THE SPORTS EDITOR.  Most of you will get the vapors.

4 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Jesus H Christo, fellas - its an editorial cartoon that appears in the sports letters to the editors of the LA Times.  This happens every saturday.  Since we've all been alive (except for Bruce and AO).

This doesn't ring a bell with any of you?  Get out of your bubble, for pete's sake.

And whatever you do, DO NOT READ THE LETTERS TO THE SPORTS EDITOR.  Most of you will get the vapors.

It is an editorial cartoon by a professional, yes.

So what?  We can’t say it sucks and it’s stupid?

It’s not a matter of being in a bubble.  It’s a matter of expecting something better from a professional at a mainstream major newspaper.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

It is an editorial cartoon by a professional, yes.

So what?  We can’t say it sucks and it’s stupid?

It’s not a matter of being in a bubble.  It’s a matter of expecting something better from a professional at a mainstream major newspaper.

Quit being so sensitive.