Kid drowns at RSM pool

18 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff

Geoff

AngelsWin.com, Vice President of Marketing & Communications

• Moderators
  • 2549 posts
  • LocationColorado

So sad.  Looks like there's a very small chance he might pull through.

Our friends live up in this neighborhood and we used to go to the Beach Club on the 4th before we moved.

http://ranchosantama...lled-from-water

(The Artist formerly known as SpiritOf2002)

logo-twitter-small_zpseacbf80e.gif @AngelsWin    logo-twitter-small_zpseacbf80e.gif @GeoffStoddart  

#2 st1ckboy

st1ckboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1964 posts
  • LocationLake Forest, CA

How does someone leave a 3 year old in the water unattended ?

#3 Katie

Katie

Queen of the universe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1783 posts
  • LocationOceanside

"He also said there were lots of others in the shallow pool area, and when that occurs, it's often assumed everyone is being watched."

Still...

#4 nate

nate

Counterpoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11056 posts
  • LocationMequon, WI

Great parenting instincts if you are using assumptions regarding the safety of your 3 year old...  just awful.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Coach John Wooden

@natetrop

#5 yk9001

yk9001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1823 posts
What the heck is Patch?
Good lord that was hard to understand.

#6 halobob

halobob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1054 posts

Wow, so sad.  I used to walk around the RSM lake most weekends, I bet the beach club part was packed on the 4th.  Very surprising that no one in the water noticed in time to save the child.

#7 austin724

austin724

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

What a terrible tragedy. You hear more and more about kids drowning in pools now. 

#8 nate

nate

Counterpoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11056 posts
  • LocationMequon, WI

What the heck is Patch?
Good lord that was hard to understand.

Patch is an online local newspaper type website.  Each one is independent.  Some of them hire really awful journalists.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Coach John Wooden

@natetrop

#9 NJHalo

NJHalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationVerona NJ

No Ambu bags or AED?

Lawsuit coming

#10 Biergott

Biergott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationRancho Santa Margarita, Ca.

So sad, I was walking to the lake with my boys for the fireworks when the commotion was happening and the ambulance came flying in.  Horrible situation.  I wasn't in the gated beach club this year, but I remember last year that the lifeguards came off duty about an hour before the fireworks and it was announced that they were off duty.  Not sure if that happened this year or not.  But the lack of life saving equipment at a facility that is that crowded throughout the summer is astounding.  Also, I've seen several instances on other days where there's been a child in distress and a parent rescues the kid without a lifeguard even moving.  Its a really big pool with only a couple lifeguards and TONS of kids in the water.  Not enough eyes in my opinion.

NJHalo is right, big lawsuit coming.  But regardless, I hope the little one pulls through.

#11 Mudville

Mudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

The parents should be sterilized for letting a 3 year old play unattended, they obviously are not capable of raising children.

#12 Catwhoshatinthehat

Catwhoshatinthehat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Crappy story.  As far as not having enough eyes on the pool that should fall on parents when we're talking about small children.  If you have a child who isn't the strongest swimmer or it's crowded and there's older/bigger kids in the water you need to watch your kid.   

• halobob likes this

#13 LBHalos17

LBHalos17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationEither side of the batters-box..

This is horrible news; hope the kid's a fighter.

Drownings are like "the perfect storm" usually; it's a combination of the factors listed above.  I lifeguarded pools and beaches for over ten years (including Huntington City and Long Beach, which are worlds-apart as HB is a wave beach, and LBC is mostly flat-water/lake-style).  Non-swimmers who go to the beach and pools generally don't recognize any possible dangers, and assume the Lifeguards will save them (they sometimes sink like rocks).  Lifeguards today are well-trained (especially City beach-Guards).  They must be first-aid/CPR trained, and many of us work toward an EMT certification.  But, they are not Supermen/women.  I worked through several near-drownings and recoveries in my time on the beaches, mostly caused because people do not recognize the dangerous conditions or ask the Guards.

In HB, it is large waves causing side-currents and rip-currents (that pull non-swimmers out to deeper water).  In LBC, the calm-waters create a false-sense of security... but the beaches and bay have extreme drop-offs that non-swimmers just slip-over (and find themselves in 10 feet of water instead of knee-high).  Most Guards in LB have made a human-chain rescue, where three or more people/kids are holding onto each other trying to pull another off the bottom.  Another big one is toddlers going-down a couple of feet from shore.  They go running toward the water, and it eventually trips-them-up.  They fall into the water face-first, and try to push themselves up.  Problem is, the beaches slope downward, and sometimes they can't reach the bottom, and it doesn't really look like an emergency at first.  I called these little guys Turbo-babies, and would get ready to run-over when I saw one start their run to the water.

Sorry for the long-windedness; I guess I'm just trying to say swim-safe, and take the time to talk to the Guards about conditions if you can.  If you are not CPR-trained at least, always swim with your family near a Lifeguard.

#14 Angels N Skins

Angels N Skins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6382 posts
  • LocationApple Valley, Ca

How does someone leave a 3 year old in the water unattended ?

The joy of parenting and alcohol

#15 deepdrive

deepdrive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

The joy of parenting and alcohol

Exactly. Don't bring your young child near water or in a motor vehicle if you're going to drink.

#16 Biergott

Biergott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
This pool and others in RSM does not have lifeguards, they have pool monitors that enforce a mandatory break so no one takes a dump in the pool, and other rules. I think many believe they are lifeguards though since they're dressed in red and on tall white tower chairs. Pretty misleading.

Sad news is that the little guy died this morning.

#17 Stradling

Stradling

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7131 posts
  • LocationChino Ca
It's truly awful and sad but if anyone gets sued that would be completely ****ing lame. It is a parents responsibility to watch their kids. As a matter of fact I would be more ok locking up the parents for child endangerment than support a lawsuit.
"I've had breast milk before. It's pretty good." -sneaky_flute

#18 Biergott

Biergott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Agreed stradling, but it would be nice if RSM added life saving equipment and lifeguards to this rec area. Especially at events where they sell tickets and fill it to capacity. They spend money to contract the OC Sheriff to ride horses around the lake before and during the fireworks to handle all the troublemakers from Coto and Dove canyon. I'm sure they could spend a few more bucks an hour to upgrade from untrained pool monitors to actual lifeguards.

#19 LBHalos17

LBHalos17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationEither side of the batters-box..

Yeah, I went to that pool once and thought those were Lifeguards (Tho I knew I had more training/experience to keep my family/friends safe anyway).  I think they will add Lifeguards, or the pool will close at the very least...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Voice Your Praise & Frustrations Here! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

AngelsWin.com introduces, Shoutbox A real-time feed for you to voice your in-game praises, frustrations or postgame rants.
@  Chris : (30 August 2014 - 05:52 PM) How about that Rasmus guy?  Dipoto should have gotten someone better for Downs.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (30 August 2014 - 11:33 AM) I miss Joey!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (29 August 2014 - 08:08 PM) Suck it Sogard~
@  SlappyUtilit... : (29 August 2014 - 08:04 PM) Maybe, Josh is really a right handed hitter?
@  Angel Oracle : (27 August 2014 - 12:32 PM) Bring a series win home tonight Hector!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (25 August 2014 - 08:48 PM) Great Outing Matt LeBlanc~
@  Chuck Richter : (25 August 2014 - 08:59 AM) How about them 1st place Angels?!?!?
@  Chuck Richter : (25 August 2014 - 08:58 AM) Sorry guys, I screwed up all the other sub forums by a change I made on the back end. I fixed it shortly thereafter though on the 22nd. All good!
@  Stevestevens : (22 August 2014 - 02:20 PM) I love the new additions to the hangout forum.  Besides all the new features, I love that Ray is blocked from having access
@  Ray McKigney : (22 August 2014 - 02:17 PM) Why do I need a password for the Hangout Forum?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!??!
@  Brandon : (22 August 2014 - 02:14 PM) i actually just wrote a thread about it in the hangout and after i posted it got the same protected screen
@  Brandon : (22 August 2014 - 02:14 PM) same
@  1nutkruk : (22 August 2014 - 01:51 PM) Same issue here.
@  Sam Sanchez : (22 August 2014 - 01:34 PM) same issue as soto here
@  SOTO : (22 August 2014 - 01:29 PM) Why is everything coming up "protected forum" fort me?  Yes I've logged out and logged back in.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (21 August 2014 - 06:52 PM) Beckham & Boesch for Hamels?
@  SlappyUtilit... : (21 August 2014 - 06:47 PM) Gordon F'n Beckham??? Do the Rangers want him in exchange for Yu?
@  Chuck Richter : (20 August 2014 - 11:14 AM) 24 Games above .500 in late August. Awesome!
@  2002_halos_II : (19 August 2014 - 03:49 PM) Great catch Kole,
@  SlappyUtilit... : (18 August 2014 - 06:35 PM) LTMOFO UP@!!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (17 August 2014 - 01:56 PM) Goes back to not scoring with the bases loaded and 0 outs
@  SlappyUtilit... : (17 August 2014 - 01:55 PM) Why is Aybar covering the bag with a Right handed batter? That is the wrong play
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:18 PM) 0 for Hamilton
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:04 PM) Soto has been fighting the Yippes! Way to go Sasser..Has to wipe has hand on the dirt for every throw back to the pitcher...
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:01 PM) HOWIE Get the F* out of the WAY!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 August 2014 - 07:24 PM) Jerome Williams To Start Tuesday

Started by nando714, Aug 10 2014 06:11 PM
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 August 2014 - 07:24 PM) CY Williams At Least 7 innings of 5 hit ball...Book it~
@  ItzTacosYerrp : (10 August 2014 - 08:17 PM) A day off will do us some good!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (10 August 2014 - 03:27 PM) Vinnie!!!!!!!! Great Outing!
@  Ray McKigney : (09 August 2014 - 11:59 PM) Only took 19 innings!!!!
@  Angel Oracle : (07 August 2014 - 02:00 PM) No stupid baserunning tonight guys!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (06 August 2014 - 08:03 PM) Thanks Hank! No, really Thanks.
@  Angel Oracle : (05 August 2014 - 11:26 AM) If the Halos win tonight, with Santiago facing Kershaw, there's gonna be a lout of laughing from the Halos fans' camp.
@  Angel Oracle : (05 August 2014 - 11:02 AM) Look on the bright side Raviner fans, 70% of you didn't get to watch that game on the SportsNet channel.
@  Angel Oracle : (04 August 2014 - 09:44 AM) Bring on the Raviners!
@  Chuck Richter : (03 August 2014 - 08:15 PM) Gameday Chat is now working again. It expired and I wasn't notified. Sorry about that guys.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 August 2014 - 05:42 PM) PLAY CATCH PLEASE! Thanks CJ~
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 August 2014 - 05:40 PM) What was the reasoning to Trade for Thatcher again?
@  DropOfAnaheim : (29 July 2014 - 07:50 PM) "Only Trout scores on that play" -Mike "It ain't just a river in Egypt" Scioscia
@  Inside Pitch : (29 July 2014 - 07:38 PM) All it takes is one loss and suddenly everyone's mangina syncs up on the same cycle.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (26 July 2014 - 07:24 PM) SHOE!!!!!!!! FEAR the Beard!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (25 July 2014 - 08:38 PM) Doug Eddings can $uc< @ D*c<.
@  Hollyw00d : (20 July 2014 - 07:30 PM) Sweet win, angels f'n baseball
@  SlappyUtilit... : (19 July 2014 - 08:58 PM) BTW, Thanks for coming back AO~
@  Inside Pitch : (18 July 2014 - 10:53 PM) 3 AM for me.   Quite an eventful day in Haloland, big signing, big trade.  I hope to wake up to a win.  Go Halos!!!!!
@  Homebrewer : (18 July 2014 - 08:33 PM) I like the trade, but censorship and intolerance of opinions is never a good thing. happening here too often
@  SlappyUtilit... : (18 July 2014 - 08:10 PM) Positive out of it I didn't receive a BAN or Warning Points~
@  Turd Ferguson : (18 July 2014 - 08:09 PM) Why did the threads critical of the trade get deleted?
@  SlappyUtilit... : (18 July 2014 - 08:07 PM) Street TRADE THREAD and Mine Questioning Where it went BOTH got Deleted? SMH~
@  tdawg87 : (18 July 2014 - 08:07 PM) Nice censorship guys. Lets just delete every thread mentioning the trade because we know how bad it is.