Punk

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

3,716 posts in this topic

I actually like the draft picks. 

I also think KL isn’t going to happen. I just don’t see the spurs handing him over. My money is on Philly or Boston

Wagner is a stretch C. Reminds me of a young Lopez. Wonder if Lopez or Zubac is a goner bc if that pick

lopez

zubac

bryant 

wagner 

4 centers 

• Like 1

Wagner would seem to have solid offense/rebounding potential.   His defense needs a lot of work.    But all in all, a solid #25 overall pick.

Not every late first rounder will turn into an all-NBA rookie team player like Kuz.

Nine days until the FA fun begins!

Where can we purchase my LiAngelo Ball Laker jersey? Asking for friend....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Somewhat surprised with the picks, but I have faith in the Lakers scouting dept.so we'll assume all will work out.  Just thought that Melton was a slam-dunk at 39 (I would've likely thought about him at 25.  Robert Williams would've been my 25 based on who was available, Melton at 39, and then I'd have been good with Mykhailiuk at 49.  Bonga won't help us for at least a year, likely more, but could develop in that time into a lottery pick type with more floor time/honing his handle and court vision.  The other angle is that maybe we chose players for another team with the expectation that we are trading Deng.

Excited for Lebron and PG signings in a week.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Somewhat surprised with the picks, but I have faith in the Lakers scouting dept.so we'll assume all will work out.  Just thought that Melton was a slam-dunk at 39 (I would've likely thought about him at 25.  Robert Williams would've been my 25 based on who was available, Melton at 39, and then I'd have been good with Mykhailiuk at 49.  Bonga won't help us for at least a year, likely more, but could develop in that time into a lottery pick type with more floor time/honing his handle and court vision.  The other angle is that maybe we chose players for another team with the expectation that we are trading Deng.

Excited for Lebron and PG signings in a week.

They don't need all 3 of those picks.   So a Deng trade to open more cap space is possible.   He only has two years left on his contract. 

Would be nice to get Lebron and PG-13, and somehow keep Randle.

That's the only way to keep Randle.  Deng MUST go via trade, or possibly stretched but Lebron and PG would have to take slight cuts in max.  In regards to our picks, the other thing to consider is if the best player of physical skill is available but in interviews was determined to be immature, low BB IQ or whatever, then I can see passing on them.

• Like 1

Future picks.  Mozgov just got traded for 2 second rounders.  Brooklyn still owed Mozgov $34+ million and took back one year of Dwight Howard for $23 million for 2 seconds.  We may have to take some money back for a player on a one year deal, but likely less if we include a good young player and/or future 1st rounders.  Any player we receive we will likely waive and stretch remaining money over several years.

32 minutes ago, Lou said:

why would any team trade for Deng?

Same reason nets took Mozgov

have to attach him with a attractive player 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

So which player is attractive enough for another team to take Deng?

Lonzo, deng, and a pick for someone like Kemba Walker, if you go all in on lebron, pg, and/or kawhi 

• Like 1

Depends on the team on the other side.  Teams have to spend their money.  It's required in the CBA.  A team that is at the beginning of their building process in an undesirable market may not have the option to sign most free agents.  They have to build differently, and trading for a bad contract to acquire future draft capitol is another avenue.  They may like players we just drafted, someone like Josh Hart or Thomas Bryant, or just future 1st rounders (likely some combo). 

I actually wouldn't mind doing the same thing if we strike out in free agency.  Say that we don't trade for Kawhi, and as a result Lebron gets cold feet and stays in Cleveland or goes to Houston.  If we just sign George, I'd look to take on a one year bad contract as salary placeholder for future picks.

30 minutes ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Teams have to spend their money.  It's required in the CBA.  

good point