Punk

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

4,542 posts in this topic

As a fan, I have been very happy to have LeBron here. We can speculate however we want about LBJ’s influence over roster construction, but that is where the problem was. As an earlier poster noted: all ball handlers and no shooters. I also would have liked the team to retain Randle and Lopez. They would have helped a lot. That said, I didn’t expect a huge leap forward for the team until next season when they’ll likely have another max player on board. Hopefully that still comes together.

53 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Can someone explain the Zubac (and Beasley) for Muscala trade to me from the lakers perspective?

my guess would be, since Zubac will be a restricted FA at the end of the year, they decided to get something in return (knowing they weren't going to match an offer) 

36 minutes ago, Lou said:

my guess would be, since Zubac will be a restricted FA at the end of the year, they decided to get something in return (knowing they weren't going to match an offer) 

Muscala is also a FA

10 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Muscala is also a FA

so they traded for the prospect of adding a guy that can shoot? 

also, perhaps they think they can re-sign him, whereas Zubac will have a lot of teams after him. 

I'll give you that if you went on a specific Lakers site you'd likely see more people want Lebron gone.  That number is higher than here but the % probably isn't likely very high (>20%).  Kind of like when the Angels underperformed recently and you'd see lots of F'n Scioscia rants.  Most probably wouldn't have voted him gone but a percentage would've.

I’m not an expert on the CBA but it seems like teams value players on expiring contracts because that means they can lose them at the end of the year. Go figure. It feels like our goal has been to draft guys with a lot of upside so that they will be easy to lose later on.

14 hours ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

I'll give you that if you went on a specific Lakers site you'd likely see more people want Lebron gone.  That number is higher than here but the % probably isn't likely very high (>20%).  Kind of like when the Angels underperformed recently and you'd see lots of F'n Scioscia rants.  Most probably wouldn't have voted him gone but a percentage would've.

I read multiple laker forums and I can tell you the percentage of people who dislike Lebron or want him gone is a lot higher than 20 percent. And that’s well over 20 percent in each and every one of those forums. Those are not just the casual laker fans who posts in those forums. 

And please don’t give stradling a boner by continuing to talk about Scioscia. I thought that chapter in our lives was over. 

On 3/11/2019 at 11:50 AM, tennischmp said:

They need a lineup as such:

PG: good from 3 and FT

SG: Klay Thompson

SF: Lebron

PF: good from 3 and FT (Kevin Love?)

C::: Anthony Davis

Without Labron that would be a better team than they have now.

Lovely, swept by the putrid Knicks!

31-39, tenth worst record in the NBA and at this rate might be lucky to equal their record a year ago.

Might as well hope for a lottery ball to come up big for them, and get close to a top five pick.   Thank you for not trading it away!

Even if trading for AD, and including that draft pick, who will they have left beyond 34 year-old LBJ and AD?    That isn't a contender, not with the way LBJ plays defense anymore.

I think I'm OUT on trading for Anthony Davis unless it was at a discount relative to what N.O. has been asking for.  I'd like to keep who we have longterm, add some beneficial free agent (s), and add another good youngster or two through the draft.  Do that and see how it plays out.  Worst case, I'd look into trading youngsters for youngsters

2018-2019 season mercifully concludes on Tuesday night.    It's nice seeing the G-Lakers win 6 of their past 9 games to improve their record again, and still likely have 11th spot in the lottery odds (maybe sneaking into the top 10 at the lottery?).    

Get everyone returning healthy this summer, keep the core and have one more build up season and then hope AD signs here 15 months from now? 

Magic Johnson says he is stepping down as president of basketball operations.
https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1115780635824549888?s=21

“I think that with (Jeanie) and I, I want to always preserve our relationship with her. And I think I had more fun when I was able to the be big brother and ambassador.”
https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1115780792322383872?s=21

Magic says the Ben Simmons situation hurt him because it made him “look like the bad guy.” Wants to be able to mentor people around the league. “Hopefully I can go back to who I was before I took this job.”
https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1115781533074243584?s=21

There are also rumors Walton will be fired as soon as tomorrow.

I really hope Lebron's tenure with the Lakers isn't reminiscent of Kobe's last few seasons.  There's multiple articles talking about how Lebron alienated himself from his teammates and it only got worse as the season wore on. That's nothing new in his career nor is coach turnover.  I just hope the franchise doesn't screw itself long term by trying to appease him.  Real interesting off season and if the Lakers can't bring in another star I'll be curious to see how the current roster puts this year behind them.