Obamacare Horror Stories

803 replies to this topic

#1 fan_since79

fan_since79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

I'll start with my own. The letter from Blue Cross arrived yesterday informing me that my plan will be discontinued on December 31, and the premium for a comparable Obamacare policy will DOUBLE.

I don't know what I'm going to do.

"You look up and down the bench and you have to say to yourself, 'Can't anybody here play this game?'" - Casey Stengel

#2 nate

nate

Counterpoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8393 posts
  • LocationMequon, WI

All but two companies are pulling out of California due to the extreme rate increases under ACA.

People are in for a huge wake up call.

The best part is this plan severely affects the middle class to help out the lower class... who still won't be able to afford the insurance.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Coach John Wooden

@natetrop

#3 DowningRules

DowningRules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I got my mail today...opened a chunky packet from insurer Anthem Blue Cross.  Several pages.  One was a notice that I could be eligible for ACA.

The other letter served to inform that my current health insurance plan was being cancelled.  However, I could re-enroll in a similar plan to begin January 1, 2014.  It will only cost me an additional $120/month.  WTF?  This isn't fair.

I thought it was the 'Affordable' Care Act.  Bait and switch.

#4 HaloMagic

HaloMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1435 posts
Sucks for you guys. I still have insurance so I don't care about people who can't afford the coverage.

#5 nate

nate

Counterpoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8393 posts
  • LocationMequon, WI

I got my mail today...opened a chunky packet from insurer Anthem Blue Cross.  Several pages.  One was a notice that I could be eligible for ACA.

The other letter served to inform that my current health insurance plan was being cancelled.  However, I could re-enroll in a similar plan to begin January 1, 2014.  It will only cost me an additional $120/month.  WTF?  This isn't fair.

I thought it was the 'Affordable' Care Act.  Bait and switch.

It is because under ACA there is no more underwriting so people in good health are going to see their premiums increase while people who are in bad health will probably see a decrease.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Coach John Wooden

@natetrop

#6 fan_since79

fan_since79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

It is because under ACA there is no more underwriting so people in good health are going to see their premiums increase while people who are in bad health will probably see a decrease.

Also this:

A standard policy for wellness and catastrophic coverage for an unexpected, unavoidable ailment or accident could have been provided for a fraction of what Obamacare coverage costs... "Obama care forces insurers to offer products that carry all sorts of bells and whistles that most people don't want but everyone will now need to pay for."

http://www.cbsnews.c...nder-obamacare/

"You look up and down the bench and you have to say to yourself, 'Can't anybody here play this game?'" - Casey Stengel

#7 nate

nate

Counterpoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8393 posts
  • LocationMequon, WI

Right, huge increase in mandated coverage.  Before those were a la carte offerings or part of higher end plans, now they are required on all.

@natetrop

#8 DowningRules

DowningRules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

With my current insurance, I pay $105 every time I go to physical therapy.  And I need to maintain my migraines by having medications on hand.  There is only one medication I've found that fixes my migraines as long as I take it early enough. 

What scares the hell out of me is: 

1.  How much is my physical therapy going to cost me under ACA? 

2.  Will I still be able to get the one migraine medication that works for me or am I limited to Obama's choice for me? 

3.  How many people with not bad health, but imperfect health, like me, are getting reemed by ACA? 

4.  How are we, as a nation going to pay for all of this?  Because I'm of half a mind to stop paying for insurance all together and have everyone else   pick up the tab.  I doubt I'm the only one thinking this way once they get the rate increase letter from their insurer.  Add in all the 26-35+ year olds who the gov't thinks will happily purchase insurance, but in reality, WON'T.  ACA will be broken, like Social Security, about a month after it rolls out. 

#9 fan_since79

fan_since79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

I can't keep my plan with a high deductible and some $30 doctor visits. It's being terminated and I have to accept all the increased benefits the government has mandated, at a cost that will be a burden to me. I'm fortunate to be in good health and would like to keep my bare-bones plan, but the government has denied me that freedom of choice.

Obama promised us we would be able to keep our insurance plans if we liked them. He should apologize to the American people for lying to them on this most important matter.

#10 nate

nate

Counterpoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8393 posts
  • LocationMequon, WI

With my current insurance, I pay $105 every time I go to physical therapy.  And I need to maintain my migraines by having medications on hand.  There is only one medication I've found that fixes my migraines as long as I take it early enough. 

What scares the hell out of me is: 

1.  How much is my physical therapy going to cost me under ACA? 

2.  Will I still be able to get the one migraine medication that works for me or am I limited to Obama's choice for me? 

3.  How many people with not bad health, but imperfect health, like me, are getting reemed by ACA? 

4.  How are we, as a nation going to pay for all of this?  Because I'm of half a mind to stop paying for insurance all together and have everyone else   pick up the tab.  I doubt I'm the only one thinking this way once they get the rate increase letter from their insurer.  Add in all the 26-35+ year olds who the gov't thinks will happily purchase insurance, but in reality, WON'T.  ACA will be broken, like Social Security, about a month after it rolls out. 

All health insurers are opening call centers on Tuesday to discuss the coverages.  I suggest calling them and asking about PT and migraine medication before signing up for anything.

Which med do you take?  My wife had to take one that our insurance didn't cover and it cost us 250 bucks a month.  The plans I saw for Obamacare had $50 for premium brand name meds so hopefully you will be ok.

As for PT, it likely will cost the same because the reason you are paying so much for it right now is that it isn't covered by the insurance until your deductible is satisfied.

@natetrop

#11 DowningRules

DowningRules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

All health insurers are opening call centers on Tuesday to discuss the coverages.  I suggest calling them and asking about PT and migraine medication before signing up for anything.

Which med do you take?  My wife had to take one that our insurance didn't cover and it cost us 250 bucks a month.  The plans I saw for Obamacare had $50 for premium brand name meds so hopefully you will be ok.

I take rizatriptan.  It's a sublingual and works pretty well as long as I take it within about half-hour to hour of what I feel is a migraine coming on. I also have Imitrex but I'm not a fan of the side affects and it also doesn't always work.  I've also heard butalbital is good/strong. 

#12 nate

nate

Counterpoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8393 posts
  • LocationMequon, WI

Butalbital didn't work at all for my wife.  I can't remember what she was taking but it was some new drug in the Imitrex family.  It worked really well.

@natetrop

#13 2002_halos_II

2002_halos_II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3463 posts
  • LocationBestCoast

Is it just Blue Cross that is raising your premiums?

Little I've read about ACA claims your private insurance won't be affected.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.

#14 nate

nate

Counterpoint

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8393 posts
  • LocationMequon, WI

It absolutely is.  There are many new mandates and no more underwriting.  All health insurance, not just individual and small group are affected.  Large corporate plans are being taxed to pay for Obamacare.

@natetrop

#15 fan_since79

fan_since79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Insurance companies must cover preexisting conditions.

Companies must insure everyone without any underwriting.

Thirty million uninsured people added to the insurance rolls.

And the administration expects premiums to go down?

#16 Taylor

Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts
  • LocationIndio, CA

It amazes me that anyone still supports Obamacare.

#17 tdawg87

tdawg87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5553 posts
  • LocationNH

Apparently paying the fine for not having insurance is significantly cheaper.

'murrica

#18 DowningRules

DowningRules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I can pretty much guarantee that your private insurance WILL go up starting January 1, 2014, IF your plan is still offered.  I am making an appointment with my doctor before the new year is here in order to get prescriptions, etc.  My insurance company informed me last week that the plan I have now will be eliminated and that a new, 'similar' plan (whatever that means) can be had for nearly double the cost of my current insurance plan's price. 

I'm going to assume that when I bail on paying insurance and just pay the fine, I will not be able to keep my doctor.  The president lied to us.  We will only be able to keep our doctor if we pay through the nose.  So, Clooney and friends will be just fine with the un-Affordable Care Act. 

#19 calscuf

calscuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts
My blue cross is unaffected.

My wife's kaiser is going down is cost.

#20 arch stanton

arch stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts
  • LocationThe Sandbox

I don't intend to buy insurance or pay the fine. Civil disobedience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Voice Your Praise & Frustrations Here! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

AngelsWin.com introduces, Shoutbox A real-time feed for you to voice your in-game praises, frustrations or postgame rants.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (22 April 2014 - 11:17 AM) Free Garrett Richards!!!!
@  Jim : (21 April 2014 - 12:07 PM) It's not like he doesn't have enough folks to choose from.
@  Adam : (21 April 2014 - 08:27 AM) I hope Arte doesn't wait too long before firing somebody
@  Glen : (20 April 2014 - 08:22 PM) It really sucks that it's not even May and once again we're trying to figure out how to fix things, and looking at a 5-game hole.
@  cezero : (20 April 2014 - 06:39 PM) **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
@  haloeast : (19 April 2014 - 02:49 PM) we couldn't get above .500 today but we will ...pujols is officially on fire
@  Hollyw00d : (17 April 2014 - 10:14 AM) One out of three.  That's good in baseball...right?
@  Chuck Richter : (17 April 2014 - 08:20 AM) Great comeback win last night Angels fans! Well done Bullpen holding score.
@  The God of Runs : (15 April 2014 - 08:39 PM) We got 'em right where we want 'em
@  Kody Mac : (15 April 2014 - 06:44 PM) remember when we tried Shields at closer?
@  Kody Mac : (15 April 2014 - 06:44 PM) set up men, good closers do not make.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) Free Hank Conger!!!!
@  The God of Runs : (14 April 2014 - 09:06 PM) I hate baseball
@  The God of Runs : (14 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Make Joe Smith the new closer
@  vlad27 : (14 April 2014 - 08:36 AM) cool new feature - Go Angels !
@  cezero : (13 April 2014 - 04:49 PM) Happy for the Halos, but the M's ARE MAKING ME DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!
@  The God of Runs : (13 April 2014 - 02:57 PM) Red Jersey = Money in the Bank
@  Homebrewer : (12 April 2014 - 08:38 PM) JOE SMITH IS A STUD
@  The God of Runs : (12 April 2014 - 07:49 PM) Okay guys. All we need is 8 consecutive HBPs and we win the game.
@  ettin : (12 April 2014 - 07:41 PM) I wish players well in their personal lives but Kevin Jepsen needs to be released.
@  The God of Runs : (12 April 2014 - 07:02 PM) Dipoto should trade Salas for Vernon Wells right NOW.
@  nate : (12 April 2014 - 05:21 PM) Nice start to the game for Cowgill
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 April 2014 - 11:20 AM) I can't wait to watch Iannetta and his .092 batting average tonight! Yo Sven!!!! Let HANK PLAY!
@  CeramicDragon : (11 April 2014 - 10:27 PM) Conger! I am glad you are involved in todays win.
@  Homebrewer : (11 April 2014 - 10:13 PM) Keep wearing the red jerseys.
@  fatkook : (11 April 2014 - 06:37 PM) I'm DRINKING!!!!!!!!
@  Homebrewer : (11 April 2014 - 06:11 PM) WEARING THE RED!! Mark this one in the win column.
@  Hollyw00d : (11 April 2014 - 02:21 PM) Says mariners fans all over the world
@  cezero : (10 April 2014 - 04:20 PM) I'm DRINKING!!!!!!!!
@  Chuck Richter : (10 April 2014 - 09:52 AM) Yes. Use the Shoutbox to vent ladies and gents! It's therapeutic!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 09:39 PM) Garrett Richards / 2-0 / 0.75 ERA
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 09:37 PM) THANK GOD FOR GARRETT RICHARDS!!!  What a game!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:52 PM) OK...I feel a little better now.  I'm glad we have the Shoutbox.
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) F THESE LOSERS!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) TODAY'S LINE-UP IS PATHETIC!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) JOSH HAMILTON IS AN IDIOT!!!
@  Chuck Richter : (08 April 2014 - 11:47 AM) AngelsWin.com and all Angels fans abroad remember Nick Adenhart today. I cannot believe it has been 5 years.
@  Hollyw00d : (07 April 2014 - 10:03 AM) we need ibanez in LF like I need a pencil jabbed in my eye
@  Eric : (06 April 2014 - 10:28 AM) The Angels need to rethink the promo spot they're using that has Victor shouting "The Angels Are Up To Nothing!"
@  nate : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) Skaggs was nails today.  Amazing performance.
@  Chuck Richter : (05 April 2014 - 08:37 PM) Skaggs!!
@  Homebrewer : (05 April 2014 - 04:49 PM) SKAGGS IS DEALIN!!!
@  mancini79 : (05 April 2014 - 04:43 PM) not for me
@  Homebrewer : (05 April 2014 - 04:32 PM) Board running slow again?
@  The God of Runs : (04 April 2014 - 09:52 AM) I'd like a Bacon Cheeseburger, Curly Fries, and a Chocolate Shake.  And, can you upsize it to more Halo victories?
@  Chuck Richter : (03 April 2014 - 01:57 PM) On the bright side, there's a TON of baseball left to play.
@  Mark68 : (02 April 2014 - 09:08 PM) Less than one
@  fan_since79 : (02 April 2014 - 09:07 PM) How many more years of Scioscia??
@  Eric : (02 April 2014 - 08:53 PM) The Mariner's sweep was not even close, it was a pure ass-whooping. No sugar coating that at all.
@  mota_madness : (02 April 2014 - 08:33 PM) Eff this teM...