RallyMo

California Golden Bears Football

1,132 posts in this topic

RallyMo    1,988

Alright, now that I've made this thread here I feel a bit more comfy in the new forum.

Spring 2013 football practice is just around the corner.

GO BEARS!

RallyMo    1,988

Does Dykes plan on using Bigelow for two carries a game or three carries a game?

Woah, woah, woah. Pump the brakes there. You don't simply use gamebreaking playmakers more than twice a game. You've got to be unpredictable.

...but yeah. I assume he'll see the field a lot more. It's still insane to me that Tedford didn't have them draw up more plays for him.

Bigs is injured and won't be able to get back on the field until summer, though, so that's a bit of a bummer.

...and speaking of Tedford: they cut his byebye deal earlier this month: $5.something million.

RallyMo    1,988

The old thread more or less signified the start of the death spiral. This one is hopefull all about its awakening. Spring Football is here. GO BEARS!

HeavenlyHalos    820

I was hoping there would be a thread about a team that hasn't won their conference outright since 1958.

Edit: And has the longest BCS bowl game* drought in the conference (52 years)

*Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Rose bowls before the BCS came into existence

RallyMo    1,988

I was hoping there would be a thread about a team that hasn't won their conference outright since 1958.

Edit: And has the longest BCS bowl game* drought in the conference (52 years)

*Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Rose bowls before the BCS came into existence

Congratulations! You got your wish!

RallyMo    1,988

How did Cal's recruiting class end up?

It was alright and probably better than would have been expected given the state of the program.

They loaded up on quantity in areas that they felt we were deficient in.

I'm excited to see what Dykes and Franklin can do with the offense.

HeavenlyHalos    820

Oh that's a great rating considering the recent departures, coaching change and, forgive me for saying, underperformance of the program. I have gone to many Cal football/basketball games and loved that 3OT game against USC with Rodgers as QB (I was at that game but I might have those details incorrect).

RallyMo    1,988

Seems great and in line with the rest of the Pac12/CFB world, unlike somebody else's contract was (cough, cough).

If we assume the buyout for JT was covered by donations, it's pretty much a zero sum game assuming a bump in assisstant pay. Hopefully assisstant pay is a bit better than before. I imagine that Franklin will be well compensated.

nate    6,558

Crazy how close the pay is for all of the coaches in the P12.  I know there are extra incentives and private contributions to coaches pay that are not listed.

Sark and Lame are now the most over paid coaches in the conference since JT is gone.

mrwicked    2,339

Oh that's a great rating considering the recent departures, coaching change and, forgive me for saying, underperformance of the program. I have gone to many Cal football/basketball games and loved that 3OT game against USC with Rodgers as QB (I was at that game but I might have those details incorrect).

lol at "forgive me for saying"

dude dont apologize, even us cal alum have been bitching about the underperformance for years. 

its just an org that seems to get so close, but can never quite get it together.

hopefully new coach gets them back on track.

mrwicked    2,339

comments on wilner's post about the dykes contract:

"You’d think a school that hasn’t been to the Rose Bowl since 1959 would reward an appearance there a little bit better. Not that it’s going to happen. But when it comes to Cal and the Rose Bowl, it’s the thought that counts."

ha.

nate    6,558

Looking at that, Mike Riley might be the most underpaid coach in sports.  That man does an excellent job and he is getting paid peanuts compared to the rest of the conference.

RallyMo    1,988

It looks like Bridgford is out of the mix and may leave the team. Kline, Hinder and Goff are still battling it out, General consensus is that all three are better than our top two from last year.

HeavenlyHalos    820

Excellent job might be a bit of a stretch, last seasons was his first as Beaver's head coach with less than four losses. He is a decent coach, but also is very conservative/stubborn. He pretty much cost them the game against Washington last season. Mannion threw four picks, and only after the last one did he finally pull him for Vaz, who almost came from behind to win it for them. He's a solid coach and everything, just nothing great IMO.

Looking at that, Mike Riley might be the most underpaid coach in sports.  That man does an excellent job and he is getting paid peanuts compared to the rest of the conference.

RallyMo    1,988

I'd rather look at videos of Desean Jackson destroying something other than English:

But yeah.... "comfortability?"

nate    6,558

Maybe the NCAA should be investigating Cal for altering grades.  How did he pass any classes?  Which co-ed took all of his tests?

RallyMo    1,988

Maybe the NCAA should be investigating Cal for altering grades.  How did he pass any classes?  Which co-ed took all of his tests?

I'm sure he was a special admit.

He had a HS GPA of something like 2.8 w/ a 1280 SAT. Not spectacular but not an idiot.

I dunno, I imagine he got by with C's and B's.

RallyMo    1,988

Cal is fighting for last place in the north this season with washington state. 

Agreed. There's a lot of work to be done. You can't undo the damage that the program has sustained over the last four years in a single offseason, and being in what may or may not be the toughest division in football doesn't make that any easier.