RallyMo

California Golden Bears Football

1,132 posts in this topic

RallyMo    1,988
16 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Yeah I remember he was a super hot commodity, until USC. But he's since recovered. 

I'm good with the hiring. Dykes was never a Cal guy, or hell west coast / california guy. Wilcox has the bay area / cal pedigree and history. So that's nice.

I'm good with the hiring as well. As you said, he's done very well everywhere but USC. I expect the first couple of years to be rough, but probably better than they would have been had we held on to Dykes.

They're serious about this. They pretty much fired Dykes and took on his buyout because they felt he wasn't committed to the school. I don't know how much more they're willing to put towards the coaching staff, but increased salaries would be nice.

Starting soon, Cal will be the only game in town for live football that isn't Stanford (and their fanbase sucks), or the 49ers (Santa Clara is a drive). They need to strike now.

RallyMo    1,988

Some dude from USC is strength and conditioning coach.

No defensive coordinator yet, waiting for contractual BS to be resolved with the main target. It'd be nice to have the guy in place sooner than later so we could get/hold on to recruits.

RallyMo    1,988

It looks like we're not going to get Lake for DC, though we tried. The money was there, but UW put a buyout clause in his contract that stated he could only leave without buyout if he were to become a head coach. From what I understand, he actually wanted to come to Cal but he's essentially blocked by UW and due to some sort of bureaucratic issues with paying the buyout, he's not going to happen. 

RallyMo    1,988
20 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Tui bolts from Mora (don't blame him) , joins Cal as QB coach. 

Solid pick up. 

Yeah. I like it. I'd been hearing that we'd get him for a few days.

RallyMo    1,988
On 3/29/2017 at 3:13 PM, mrwicked said:

@RallyMo how are things looking for the Bears at this point? Any updates?

I think that the coaching staff looks really good, but it's really impossible to tell. Wilcox has been rather good everywhere he's been except for USC, but that was a completely dysfunctional situation. He says all the right things, but all coaches do.

There's definitely a shortage of depth everywhere but on offense. That'll be difficult to overcome at first. I hope these guys can recruit well.

Side note: we were actually in Colorado a couple of weeks ago and we were at the pool with Scout and her cousins. I looked over at the dude next to me and did a double take. Sonny freaking Dykes. He was with his daughter and I wasn't going to bug him, but if he hadn't been with his kid I would have asked him just how tough it is to run a program in that environment, amongst other things.

RallyMo    1,988

It looks like Aaron Rodgers is back on board and is associating himself with the program. He seems to be pretty darned supportive of Wilcox.

That's nice.

Little victories are important, especially since we're not likely to see many football victories in 2017.

Go Bears!

• Like 1

Tank    9,418
On 7/28/2017 at 9:05 PM, RallyMo said:

Oh crap, we just got a legit OL commit for the first time in forever.

this seems like an odd time for someone to commit. being as how i don't know much about this area, i'll go ahead and ask if this if for this season or for next season.

Lou    9,787
2 minutes ago, Tank said:

this seems like an odd time for someone to commit. being as how i don't know much about this area, i'll go ahead and ask if this if for this season or for next season.

He's a 2018 commit 

RallyMo    1,988

Yep. All commits at this point are for the class that signs in 2018.

All the commits are from... California. Weird. And they're well regarded OL and defensive players. Weird again.

Apparently they have four new guys committing this weekend. Good stuff.

Tank    9,418

so how is this different from letter of intent day?

Vegas Halo Fan    6,382

Once a player signs a National Letter of Intent, from that point on he is committed to play at that school. Nothing is final until the player signs the LOI, and anything else is a verbal commitment - a statement of a player's intent to sign somewhere, if you will. Verbal commitments are not binding. Players often withdraw their verbal commitments and sign elsewhere. Verbal commitments are nice, because they give you some idea of what you have coming in for a particular class, but nothing is final until the ink is dry.

Tank    9,418

good explanation, Vegas. Thanks, and thanks to the others who replied.

• Like 1

RallyMo    1,988
5 hours ago, yk9001 said:

We'll see. It's not good, that's for sure.

One thing that is intriguing is that mention of ditching Edwards Stadium and building housing. He seems to write it off as being inconsequential even if they do that, but that's a fairly large parcel of land not getting much use on an increasingly crowded campus, and I'm pretty sure it's under control of the AD. To build housing there, it'd have to be transferred out of the AD, and I imagine that will involve a shift of a considerable amount of funds from the general campus to the AD. It's not like the AD would be building a dorm on its dime and then trying to recoup the cost on that. I think such a deal could make a significant impact on the outlook here. Then again, maybe not.

Whatever the case, it is and will continue to be ugly.

GO BEARS!

• Like 1