Stephen Drew vs. Matt Garza

42 replies to this topic

#1 Dochalo

Dochalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3730 posts

In thinking about our options relative to improving our SP and the DH spot, one could make a case that we are better off trading Aybar for pitching and signing Stephen Drew.

Here is the math:

Drew is probably equivalent to or perhaps provides slightly more value than Aybar.  He's a very good defender with good pop who has a solid obp.  He'll be just 31 to start the season   Aybar will be 30.

It appears that Drew is going to get 3/40 or maybe 4/50. 

Let's say Garza will cost you 4/70 or 5/80.

Obviously, it depends what you can get for Aybar, but it would make sesne that you could get a player similar to what Garza is going to be over the next 4-5 years yet younger and cheaper with potentially more upside. 

12.5mil for Drew minus 8.5 from trading Aybar plus league min for who Aybar gets you in return adds about 4.5 mil in payroll. Probably a shade more than what Ibanez is going to cost. 

Leaving you about 15mil to add a hitter or even another pitcher to further improve SP depth. 

To clear more space, you could also move Ianetta for some minor league depth or a pen arm although this would weaken the offense a bit.  But that would give you 20mil to spend. 

That could bring Choo into the mix or you could then trade Howie for a decent DH, Pitching prospect etc. 

The one downside of signing Drew is that he's tied to a pick which the halos have indicated they would avoid, but I have to think that with what Aybar can bring you in trade is probably a bit better for the long term health of the team than signing Garza. 

• Cory likes this

#2 Angels_Baseball

Angels_Baseball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3623 posts
  • LocationAnaheim Hills, CA
Not a bad option. If Aybar can bring back a legitimate prospect, that may just end up being more valuable than having that draft pick.

I would assume the Mets would be very intersted and I can see a scenario where the Dodgers move Hanley back to 3rd to open up room to get Aybar. If Uribe doesn't end up signing with them, they'll have a pretty big hole at 3rd/SS.

Follow me on Twitter at @bmags94

Follow my blogs at maniacball.net

#3 calscuf

calscuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
I don't think Aybar is going to get you much in the way of SP.

#4 jshep

jshep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Not a bad option. If Aybar can bring back a legitimate prospect, that may just end up being more valuable than having that draft pick.

I would assume the Mets would be very intersted and I can see a scenario where the Dodgers move Hanley back to 3rd to open up room to get Aybar. If Uribe doesn't end up signing with them, they'll have a pretty big hole at 3rd/SS.

They already re-signed Uribe.

http://www.mlbtrader...juan-uribe.html

#5 Dochalo

Dochalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3730 posts

I don't think Aybar is going to get you much in the way of SP.

I felt the same way about Trumbo.  If you could get a similar package or perhaps even slightly less.  Like a Skaggs type plus a lesser prospect, wouldn't that help the team long term? 

Like Montero and Victor Black?

#6 Angels_Baseball

Angels_Baseball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3623 posts
  • LocationAnaheim Hills, CA

They already re-signed Uribe.

http://www.mlbtrader...juan-uribe.html

Whoops completely missed that yesterday.

Well forget that idea then!

Follow me on Twitter at @bmags94

Follow my blogs at maniacball.net

#7 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6137 posts

Rather trade Aybar for a #3 than sign one for #2 money. I think at worst you get production that Aybar would give.

#8 Dochalo

Dochalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3730 posts

I guess the point is that for about 4-5mil per year for the next 4 years and a surrendered pick, you probably get a guy that is a very solid prospect who is near major league ready and maybe an additional player to offset the draft pick. 

#9 Shane

Shane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts

Just can't do it. Too high of a pick. And now that Dipoto and Scioscia finally seem to be on the same page, we may not have a pick this high again. (or low of a pick, however you want to look at it).

Edited by Shane, 15 December 2013 - 08:13 PM.

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination." - Vin Scully

#10 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6137 posts

I guess the point is that for about 4-5mil per year for the next 4 years and a surrendered pick, you probably get a guy that is a very solid prospect who is near major league ready and maybe an additional player to offset the draft pick.

I like this point and rationale.

I think too many people here over value a draft pick and don't consider it an unknown commodity while expecting it to flourish. Baseball draft picks probably have the worst success ratio among pro sports or popular sports, but you essentially propose not only a more known commodity, but also have expedited the process with one that is closer to major league ready than the expedition a new draft pick would deal with.

I think it makes a lot of sense in many facets.

#11 calscuf

calscuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
I just don't think Aybar can get a whole lot back. If he can, it's not a bad idea, but unlike Trumbo who, despite arguments of his overall worth, had some "sexy" stats.

The other thing sexy about Aybar is, of course, his face.
  • Glen, Angels_Baseball and Hollyw00d like this

#12 Greg_Bearringer

Greg_Bearringer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

I just wish the Pirates would be willing to budge here. The upgrade from Barmes to Aybar seems potentially enormous, but I am not sure who they give up. Jeff Locke?

--

Twitter: @bearringer

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/bearringer

#13 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6137 posts

I just don't think Aybar can get a whole lot back. If he can, it's not a bad idea, but unlike Trumbo who, despite arguments of his overall worth, had some "sexy" stats.

The other thing sexy about Aybar is, of course, his face.

I generally agree with this, too. But the variable is what another team values Aybar as or if he is an upgrade. I don't think too highly of Aybar. I'm not a stat geek, but it seems his D has mildly declined, we know about the base running lapses, and he isn't a solid bat....although I think he is a good 9 hole. With his age and production, I don't know if there is value outside his contract seems to be in line with what's expected of him.

If someone thinks they are a shortstop away, he can maybe surprise us like Trumbo did.

#14 Dochalo

Dochalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3730 posts

Just can't do it. Too high of a pick. And now that Dipoto and Scioscia finally seem to be on the same page, we may not have a pick this high again. (or low of a pick, however you want to look at it).

http://www.beyondthe...are-draft-picks

check out Tier 4. 

i'll have to do some math.

• Shane likes this

#15 Shane

Shane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2111 posts

Sacrificing a 1st round pick is an interesting discussion.  Wilson has only had one 1st round pick as scouting director, and he chose Cron at 17th overall. We just flipped a similar player for two young pitchers. Really comes down to your faith in the guys making the draft selections.

Also, doesn't losing our 1st round pick mean we'll have less draft money to work with? 

Edited by Shane, 15 December 2013 - 09:21 PM.

• Dochalo likes this

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination." - Vin Scully

#16 tomsred

tomsred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • LocationNewport Coast, CA

Losing our first round pick could be a very bad idea.  This year's draft is supposed to be loaded.  Please say no to the idea of signing anyone who would cost us that pick.

#17 Dochalo

Dochalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3730 posts

so let's do a 4 year look...

let's say Aybar and drew offset in terms of WAR but Drew costs 5mil more per or 20mil total

let's say Garza would cost about 4/70 and give you 10 WAR

let's say if you traded Aybar, you'd get a major league ready club controlled #4 that would give you about 8 WAR and a decent minor league prospect

by Tier 4 above, a 8-15 pick averages about 1 WAR per year and cost you about 2mil per year to get them ready (marginal cost + signing bonus)

the prospect you get for Aybar would cost less than that, but is likely to be worth less yet they'd potentially be ready sooner and provide value to the team in the next four years.  Even if you didn't get the prospect for Aybar

Aybar + Garza + pick

Cost - about 100mil

Value in the next 4 years - about 90-100mil (about 18-20 WAR)

Drew + traded for SP

Cost - about 65mil

Value in the next 4 years - about 14-18 WAR or 70-90mil

The real upgrade comes with what you can do on offense with the freed up cash unless we think Cron is going to take the DH spot next year or even sometime this year. 

#18 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6137 posts

I've been on the low value farm and draft pick kick since the proposed Santana, Wood, and someone else for Manny many years back. It seemed Wood was the hold up, but it was essentially a trade of potential for a known all-star commodity. It never made sense to me to have someone with a solid one year in AA to hold up a future hall of famer.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

#19 Dochalo

Dochalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3730 posts

Sacrificing a 1st round pick is an interesting discussion.  Wilson has only had one 1st round pick as scouting director, and he chose Cron at 17th overall. We just flipped a similar player for two young pitchers. Really comes down to your faith in the guys making the draft selections.

Also, doesn't losing our 1st round pick mean we'll have less draft money to work with? 

Very true.  Either you trust the guys building your system or you don't.  That said, you've got to play the odds.  Bird in the hand and all that.  I'm not normally one to support giving up a pick, but to me, this gives us a nice option for keeping the current team as good as it can be and still taking care of the very near future. 

The other option is to just trade Aybar for that arm and not sign Drew and give the job to a util guy. 

#20 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6137 posts

Aybar for a #3, sign Benji Gil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Voice Your Praise & Frustrations Here! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

AngelsWin.com introduces, Shoutbox A real-time feed for you to voice your in-game praises, frustrations or postgame rants.
@  haloeast : (19 April 2014 - 02:49 PM) we couldn't get above .500 today but we will ...pujols is officially on fire
@  Hollyw00d : (17 April 2014 - 10:14 AM) One out of three.  That's good in baseball...right?
@  Chuck Richter : (17 April 2014 - 08:20 AM) Great comeback win last night Angels fans! Well done Bullpen holding score.
@  The God of Runs : (15 April 2014 - 08:39 PM) We got 'em right where we want 'em
@  Kody Mac : (15 April 2014 - 06:44 PM) remember when we tried Shields at closer?
@  Kody Mac : (15 April 2014 - 06:44 PM) set up men, good closers do not make.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) Free Hank Conger!!!!
@  The God of Runs : (14 April 2014 - 09:06 PM) I hate baseball
@  The God of Runs : (14 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Make Joe Smith the new closer
@  vlad27 : (14 April 2014 - 08:36 AM) cool new feature - Go Angels !
@  cezero : (13 April 2014 - 04:49 PM) Happy for the Halos, but the M's ARE MAKING ME DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!
@  The God of Runs : (13 April 2014 - 02:57 PM) Red Jersey = Money in the Bank
@  Homebrewer : (12 April 2014 - 08:38 PM) JOE SMITH IS A STUD
@  The God of Runs : (12 April 2014 - 07:49 PM) Okay guys. All we need is 8 consecutive HBPs and we win the game.
@  ettin : (12 April 2014 - 07:41 PM) I wish players well in their personal lives but Kevin Jepsen needs to be released.
@  The God of Runs : (12 April 2014 - 07:02 PM) Dipoto should trade Salas for Vernon Wells right NOW.
@  nate : (12 April 2014 - 05:21 PM) Nice start to the game for Cowgill
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 April 2014 - 11:20 AM) I can't wait to watch Iannetta and his .092 batting average tonight! Yo Sven!!!! Let HANK PLAY!
@  CeramicDragon : (11 April 2014 - 10:27 PM) Conger! I am glad you are involved in todays win.
@  Homebrewer : (11 April 2014 - 10:13 PM) Keep wearing the red jerseys.
@  fatkook : (11 April 2014 - 06:37 PM) I'm DRINKING!!!!!!!!
@  Homebrewer : (11 April 2014 - 06:11 PM) WEARING THE RED!! Mark this one in the win column.
@  Hollyw00d : (11 April 2014 - 02:21 PM) Says mariners fans all over the world
@  cezero : (10 April 2014 - 04:20 PM) I'm DRINKING!!!!!!!!
@  Chuck Richter : (10 April 2014 - 09:52 AM) Yes. Use the Shoutbox to vent ladies and gents! It's therapeutic!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 09:39 PM) Garrett Richards / 2-0 / 0.75 ERA
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 09:37 PM) THANK GOD FOR GARRETT RICHARDS!!!  What a game!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:52 PM) OK...I feel a little better now.  I'm glad we have the Shoutbox.
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) F THESE LOSERS!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) TODAY'S LINE-UP IS PATHETIC!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) JOSH HAMILTON IS AN IDIOT!!!
@  Chuck Richter : (08 April 2014 - 11:47 AM) AngelsWin.com and all Angels fans abroad remember Nick Adenhart today. I cannot believe it has been 5 years.
@  Hollyw00d : (07 April 2014 - 10:03 AM) we need ibanez in LF like I need a pencil jabbed in my eye
@  Eric : (06 April 2014 - 10:28 AM) The Angels need to rethink the promo spot they're using that has Victor shouting "The Angels Are Up To Nothing!"
@  nate : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) Skaggs was nails today.  Amazing performance.
@  Chuck Richter : (05 April 2014 - 08:37 PM) Skaggs!!
@  Homebrewer : (05 April 2014 - 04:49 PM) SKAGGS IS DEALIN!!!
@  mancini79 : (05 April 2014 - 04:43 PM) not for me
@  Homebrewer : (05 April 2014 - 04:32 PM) Board running slow again?
@  The God of Runs : (04 April 2014 - 09:52 AM) I'd like a Bacon Cheeseburger, Curly Fries, and a Chocolate Shake.  And, can you upsize it to more Halo victories?
@  Chuck Richter : (03 April 2014 - 01:57 PM) On the bright side, there's a TON of baseball left to play.
@  Mark68 : (02 April 2014 - 09:08 PM) Less than one
@  fan_since79 : (02 April 2014 - 09:07 PM) How many more years of Scioscia??
@  Eric : (02 April 2014 - 08:53 PM) The Mariner's sweep was not even close, it was a pure ass-whooping. No sugar coating that at all.
@  mota_madness : (02 April 2014 - 08:33 PM) Eff this teM...
@  The God of Runs : (02 April 2014 - 07:48 PM) This team isn't even bothering to build us up. Not good
@  Taylor : (02 April 2014 - 07:44 PM) This team blows.
@  Homebrewer : (02 April 2014 - 07:36 PM) BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
@  The God of Runs : (02 April 2014 - 07:21 PM) Eff Brad Miller!  Geez Loueez!
@  fan_since79 : (02 April 2014 - 06:11 PM) I was deluged with pop-up ads today for some video game while looking at the main forum. Perhaps there's a problem there.